Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Scent attractants and eliminators first timer here >

Scent attractants and eliminators first timer here

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent attractants and eliminators first timer here

Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Scent attractants and eliminators first timer here

Hey everyone, up in MA here can't start for another month, but wanna get everything in line for my first Hunt.

Just want to know if I should go out and get some Deer attractants (such as urine, and if so what type) who makes a good one?

Also do you feel a eliminator/cover up is worth it, or worthless? If so who makes a good one. I am gonna try to get em cheaper offline, so the more info you can throw my way the better.

Also any good calls u all rec? I am a little confused on which one(s) would be the overall best (ie grunt, bleet etc)

Thanks for all your help this is my first HUNT!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent attractants and eliminators first timer here

My self I stopped using Scents ( Doe Pee), I think they are a waste of money, cover up scents is a good idea, on your boots, etc,Buy some good calls. Primos makes some good calls, The can, or a good Grunt call,I'm gonna try the Buck Roar this year.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't mean to sound like deer scents don't work, I've used lots of Tinks over the years and many other brands like code blue, etc. Myself I have only killed one Buck that I know was brought in by a scent, that was a synthetic man made scent called Buck Stop, Most of the Deer pee you buy is old out dated or contaminated and no good. You can buy some real deer urine from a few deer farms but it's real $$$. and they only last about 8 to 10 days then it turns to nothing more than Amonia.
But don't let me rain on your first hunt, try them for yourself, like the rest of us did, they might work for you.. Have a Great First hunt, I hope you score big..
Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I first started out, I was putting doe urine out everytime...I thought I had to in order to get some deer to move in my direction. Now, it seems that I don't put it out hardly at all and I still see plenty of deer. I would definitely look into getting cover scent, because if a deer smells you, there is no doe pee in the world that will bring a deer into you. As far as a brand of cover scent goes, I usually use the all the stuff by H.S.

As far as calls go, I absolutely love the True Talker grunt call. I have un-intentionally spooked deer before and they take off running about 200 yards away into this open wheat field that I hunt and with a few grunts from the True Talker, I could call that same deer back to within 40 or 50 yards of me. I have had deer come runing in on several occasions with this call...great call. Just make sure to call sparingly and not really loud.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have coons in your area, buy the coon pee and place it on the bottoms of your boots.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Most doe urine is taken from pen raised does. These deer are fed a protein diet and don't eat the same foods your deer do in your area. Put some down in very small amounts and see how many does spook and blow at it. I have seen a few immature bucks show intrest, but it actually may spook some deer. Just my 2cents