Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Scent eliminators/cover scents >

Scent eliminators/cover scents

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent eliminators/cover scents

Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Scent eliminators/cover scents

Hi all Im new to the site. I've been hunting for years and I keep my hunting clothes in a storage tote with one of those cover scent wafers between hunts.Well each time I dress to go hunting,the wafer scent seems extremely strong. Is this ok,and what about scent eliminators,can they be used alone instead of a cover scent ? I use both but it seems like they would work against each other,any ideas?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent eliminators/cover scents

Forget trying to fool a bucks nose... You need to hunt down wind.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

my homemade cover scent workspretty good, i get leaves and sticks and boil them in water for about 10 minutes or until the water is real dark. put it in aclean spray bottle and your good to go! if your hunting in a ceder thicket, use ceder limbs. even with this i still hunt down wind as much a possible.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont have much faith in either. Think about it, you take a crap and then spray some air freshener (cover scent) does it work? Nope. Now, how much more sensitive is a deers nose than ours? Ill just use the wind.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do all you can to eliminate scent. I worry more about the scent I'm leaving in the woods as I do trying to fool them when I'm hunting. I wash my clothes frequently using unscented soap and the most important thing is to shower before you go to hunt. I spray my boots down really good before walking to the stand to try to eliminate scent where I walk in. After all that, HUNT DOWN WIND. However, no matter where you place your stand and which stand you hunt with certain winds, you can't guarantee that a deer won't get down wind of you. Do the complete package.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Scenthunt

Hi all Im new to the site. I've been hunting for years and I keep my hunting clothes in a storage tote with one of those cover scent wafers between hunts.Well each time I dress to go hunting,the wafer scent seems extremely strong. Is this ok,and what about scent eliminators,can they be used alone instead of a cover scent ? I use both but it seems like they would work against each other,any ideas?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Spike

I use it just to err on the side of caution. My brother-in-law drinks coffee, eats breakfast and smokes in his stand and usually kills more deer that the rest of us. So..........., use your own judgement.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

I dont go overboard with scent control until they invent a fart eliminator. But I think it is a good idea to use cover scent on your boots because they can smell where you have been walking to your stand.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

use the wind, use scent block, use cover scent, in that order. Might as well use everything you can, but don't be fooled into thinking it will keep you from ever getting made. Deer smell with a sensetivity a human could never dream of, so do all you can and let the wind do the rest.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM

I'm with you guys, nothing can fool a deer's nose.

Quick Reply: Scent eliminators/cover scents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.