Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

butchering deer questions

Old 10-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default butchering deer questions

During the beginning of the season the weather is pretty warm. You cant just leave your deer hang in the barn over night. What do you do? I dont really have anyone to help me butcher deer anyone else in the same boat? I have done it by myself but its alot of work to do it by yourself. Since dont have anyone to help methought take it to someone have them do it for you. Does anyone take their deer to a butcher.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: butchering deer questions

My wifealways debone it while hanging,takes couple hours to finish and get it in the freezer.

But I've seen her do two Mule Deer and an Elk in a day.

big rockpile
Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

If I can't get my deer to a processor right away and it's warm out, I field dress it and pack it on ice in a large 150 quart cooler. Keep the hide on,bend the legs in, fold the neck over, and pack the chest cavity full of ice.4 bags usually takes care of it til the following day when I can get it turned in.

We have adeer processor within 10 miles of just about everywhere I hunt. Some are just better than others and worth paying more for.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

During warm weather, I've kept them cool overnight just laying them on the garage floor, packing two bags of ice into the body cavity and one across the shoulders. I'llcover it in a tarp and blankets. It cools down nicely over night. I'll hang it and butcher it myself the next morning.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it is to warm out for it to hang I will quarter it up and find some room in the fridge to keep it overnight. I like to make sure all the bodyheat is out of it and this has worked out nice for me. Also if hanging it sprinkle some balck pepper on it where there is flesh showing to keep the blow flies away. good luck..and happy hunting..
Old 10-10-2007, 04:27 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: big rockpile

My wife always debone it while hanging,takes couple hours to finish and get it in the freezer.
I do the same, hanging is unnecessary when you do it this way.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:44 AM
Typical Buck

I quarter it up and put it in an ice chest. Only takes about 15 mins to quarter after it has been cleaned.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive got a walk in cooler i can hang them in for a couple days if I need to. Before that, I would just quarter them up ASAP and debone them.Freeze them right away, and grind them as soon as the seasion ends. If I didnt have the time to go that far, and it was too warm, I went fishing instead!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

During our bow season, I carry a cooler in my truck when I'm hunting...After finding a deer, I go to the truck and get the cooler.. Then I hang the bottom of my climber and strap it to a tree...I carry 2 rachet pulleys, hook it to my climber, tie the other to the back leg of the deer and pull the deer up...If a larger deer, I can attach the rope to my 4-wheeler to help...

I then skin, cut out the back straps. bone the hams, cut the front legs off, remove the shoulders and then make a small incision in the short ribs and remove the inner tenderloins...If you want to keep the ribs you can gut and cut the ribs out with a hand saw...Give me an hour and I'm done...I ice the deer on the way home...I've killed 3 does this way this year...If I shoot a deer at 7:00pm, I'm home by 9-9:30...
Old 10-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old fridges in the barn??? Quarter the deer, remove straps and tloins - deal with later. Practice will make you more effecient.

Asto does anybody use a butcher...yes. I custom cut and have the problem of room come fall.Certainly can use this option as well.

Quick Reply: butchering deer questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.