Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Minerals (results?)

Old 01-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Minerals (results?)

I went out this past weekend and bought me an apple flavored mineral block and I have some grain(Corn,milo) that I put out for the deer yesterday. Now my question is putting this stuff out do you think that I will be able to tell an increase of size in the bucks (and doe) in that area or will it take a couple of years to actually be able to see results. By results I mean thicker racks, double brows, more meatty size to little does and bucks.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Minerals (results?)

Bucky,
Sorry to bust those visions but the deer here wont even touch the blocks. I had them out for two years and they just finally broke apart from the weather.
I dont know about the milo for deer. Our quail would like it. Corn will attract the deer and hogs and turkey and quail and skunk and coon and jays and, and, and.
Its going to take more than just a few bags to get where you are wanting to go.
1. If you are going to use somthing like corn get a feeder. Your corn will last longer and it will not tend to sour or mold as it would on the ground. On the ground it can grow bacteria that can become toxic.
2. Food plots. Find a good growing food crop that has good food properties and start in the spring and fall. I think this will do more for the growth you want.
3. Good water supply. Major thing here. No water, No deer.
Well just my $.02.
Good Luck,
Rick

Lifes not about knowing the answers, its about asking the questions.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

hey man where are you from? People here always have good luck with mineral blocks and grain. I just wondered if they did eat it if you could tell within a year
Old 01-15-2003, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

bucky I would reccommend checking with one of your state wildlife bioligist to see what is lacking in regards to nutrients for deer in your area. The reason I say this is if the deer are getting an ample amount of needed minerals you will be wasting your money. What you need to find out from the bioligist is what, if anything they are lacking and provide that. If the deer in your area are lacking certain minerals that effect antler growth, you should see results next year if you provide it all year long. Now is a good time to start because they are already in the process of building up reserves for next years antlers.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-15-2003, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

bucky, Mineral blocks have been "torn apart" on my buddy's land in northern WI. He has been using them for 6 years and swears they have increased the rack size. Taz has the right answer as my buddy contacted his wildlife biologist for the appropriate minerals. LOL

"Semper Fi"
Old 01-20-2003, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Well I went ahead and put the mineral block out and scattered grain all around it. I checked on it this weekend and you could tell in the grain but couldn't on the mineral block. I am going to wait 2 weeks and I will post the results.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

unless you feed them like you feed a dog atleast twice a day your not going to see much from a once in a while thing but you will attract them to the area and such...i bought a 5lb apple flavored mineral block(really taste like old apples i licked it!) and within a week i could see where they liked the corner and edge and it was knocked of the stumb i had it on which held it pretty securely so i know it was licked...i also spread 50lbs of corn and it was gone sometime iwthin that week...i know deer did most of the eating by the way it was tore up...it wasnt turkey and we have no hogs...sure chipmunks maybe a tree rat or 2 and a coon ate some but i think deer got the better part of it...i just wanted to ensure deer would use that trail during hunting season becuase i hung a stnad htere...that was 2 mnths before season beacuse its illegal withing 30 dyas of the season here...and i tagged out the first morning at my number one spot and didnt get to hunt my stand!...
Old 01-22-2003, 03:26 PM

bump

Old 01-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

what in the world does bump mean.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:42 PM

It just depends on the mineral content of the soil I guess.They don't eat alot of minerals until spring and early summer.Bucks need it then for antler growth and does need it for developing the embryotic skeletons.The negative side of mineral licks,baiting,and food plots is that in can concentrate deer and spread disease and abomasal parasites via touching or breathing.Iv'e done a little of this,but I'm really trying to improve overall habitat.