Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Minerals?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Minerals?

I've never really used minerals in the past, and am possibly interested in putting in a mineral pit (or a few) this year on my property.

Who has used thesein the past? Do you use a camera on it? What product do you use or do you make your own? If you make your own, how do you make it?

Once turkey season ends, I'd like to get somefeeders up and get some mineral sites setup as well.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Minerals?

They work good for the hotter months, but when the weather cools they don't seem to mess with itmuch.( I guess they needsomething extraon thosehot humid VA days)They are good for the camera though. I have one in my back yard and a few does visit it almost everyday especially after a rain storm. I have also seen a nice buck digg'n in it in mid-day before. I buy the Deer Co-cain.
I think they are worth it to see deer in the middle of the day.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used Trace Mineral before and have had great results.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mr. James, I have used Antler KingsTrophy Deer Mineral before. I bought both that and the Hi Protein Big Buck Bloack at the same time. They liked the block better. I did some shopping around before I did this and Antler King's block has one of the highest protein percentages of the block type minerals. And as they work it over, as long as you have raked the spot out prior to placing it, it will become sort of a little pit. It's great for camera photos. I was averaging 150 to 200 pics a week on each location. Looking for a cheaper alternative, there is a comparatively sized block that they sell at Tractor Supply.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_48725_______14602%7C146 20%7C14621%7C48725?listingPage=true
It is much more reasonably priced and has almost the exact protein content. I use them year round, outside of hunting season. Its most important in the spring and summer for the fawning, winter recovery and antler growing season. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

What about the Trophy Rock? any body tried anything like that? and how important of a role will amineral block play in a bucks antler growth? Is it a visible difference?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:33 AM

I bought a mineral block from the local CO-OP ($10). I put it out last year about 3 wks befor bow season and the deer just loved it. I'll find out whats all in it and what kind it is. It work very good for me. I also use buck jam apple flav. The deer love this stuff like its going out of style.