Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When to Grunt?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default When to Grunt?

Alright, after hearing everyones input on the deer call of choice I went out yesterday and bought the HS True Talker. Now, the question I present to you all is, When do you grunt? I understand that every area/season is different, but there has to be a specific time to use the bleat/buck call etc....Ex. If you see a buck walking a couple of hundred yards from your stand, would you attempt to call him in????
Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 PM

Default RE: When to Grunt?

First off, you have bought the best buck call on the maket available today. It has such a variety of sounds you can use it for everything from fawn to doe contact to buck fighting during the rut. The simplest thing to learn is the contact call. It is about mid range on the bands. You don't want it too deep but you don't want to sound like a doe. Find the lowest tone and start backing off till you find a medium grunt. Put yourfirst two bands at that point for fast grunting. Drop down a little further and you will get a nice doe sound. Little higher pitch and put the third band. Finally lower your finger to find a high fawn pitch. And put the final band. OK now you have tuned the call.

Now a great way to start is by calling in the morning with the buck grunt. Double band. you can use this call any time during the season. When the sun rises in the morning and you start to hear the birds and squirrel moving about say 7:00 - 9:00 am, use this grunt. Blow on the call very soft at first, so you get the soft burr or grunt that should be heard within about 50 yards or so. Listen closely for an answer. If you don't get anything try it again a little louder. Soon you will get an answer. Hopefully it will be a little deeper than your sound. When you hear them answer, let them finish and pause about three seconds and answer them again. If they call back right away they know where you are and will usually start working their way your direction. Don't answer right away but just listen. They will call out again and it should be closer to you. Do a very short quiet grunt again just to confirm you are still there. But not long enough for them to identify you. Start watching . By this time, you may have two, three or four bucks (Deer) around you talking to each other. You want to remain in the center. So let them take over the conversation. They will talk for about thirty minutes and then stop, so pay close attention now. If you see a deer in the distance but he doesn't look like he is coming your way, give a light grunt to get his attention. If he doesn't react try again a little louder. Don't blow to hard. Too much is not good.
Good Luck!
http://www.wideworldofhunting.com/so...DeerSounds.htm

Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, there is no bad time to grunt. Deer dont only talk during the rut. I mean obviously i wouldnt do tending grunts when its not the right time. Just you basic grunt 3 or 4 times every 10-15 minutes. The True Talker is a great grunt call. I used to have one but i couldnt stand how the reed kept falling out. I switched to the Bow Grunter PLUS. No matter what call you have they should all work.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Great info thank you guys, Eric thank you for taking the time to break down the whole process. Good luck this season guys & God Bless.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 PM

HUH? I can't say that I've ever heard a deer "conversation". Bucks grunting while trailing or chasing, does making low bleats calling theirfawns or an occasionalloud bleat, a couple of snort-wheezes, yeah. A conversation, naw. If you are in the "center" of this "conversation" most likely you're going to break up the party when the deer downwind of you blows (snorts), which means "I just smelled one of those stinky humans and he's sitting in a tree blowing a HS True Talker call, so get the heck out of here!"
Old 10-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Host of Hosts

I just picked up a True Talker as well and what a huge difference between it and a few others I have. No comparison. The other are now just decorations for the Christmas Tree.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 PM

The "conversation" is the very thing you have to learn to listen for in the morning. Once you hear it going on around you (And recognize what it is!) , you will hear it over and over again. They literally purr or grunt to each other for about thirty minutes every moring as they walk through the woods. You can actually learn their trails this way and set up on the next hunt to try and cut them off. It is best described as a very light woodpecker sound. But when two or three deer start talking as they keep walking, you realize it is deer and not woodpeckers. The best experience is when a smaller buck walks right past you "Talking" and you hear the others answer.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:16 PM

OKAY.......