Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 "To Grunt Or Not To Grunt, That is the ?" >

"To Grunt Or Not To Grunt, That is the ?"

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"To Grunt Or Not To Grunt, That is the ?"

Old 10-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default "To Grunt Or Not To Grunt, That is the ?"

Lately I have heard many different theories and was wondering what your opinions are. I recently bought the HS True Talker and I think I have mastered it [&:],however many people have told me that grunts may scare deer away. For example, where I hunt in South Georgia, a 6-8 pointer is considered an acceptable buck unlike you guys in other states (ex.PA,ME,IA MN,NY,MI etc etc..)so some people have said that "Most" grunt calls resemble that of a Sascatchewan monster and would probably scare away most of the deer in my area as opposed to calling them in for a fight. What are your opinions? If I put out a few grunts, would that probably scare away a potential 6 or 8 pointer from walking into my area?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "To Grunt Or Not To Grunt, That is the ?"

I've had moderate success with grunt calls, butuse a young buckgrunt instead of the mature.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Grunt if it is the last resort if buck is not coming in.

www.pagamehunter.com
Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Make sure when you call deer you know what the local herd is doing...Early in the season stick with soft, short contact grunts or bleats...As the season progresses and the bucks start looking for does you need to go with louder more agressive grunting, even mixed with doe in heat bleats....

I carry 3 grunt calls and a couple of different doe bleat calls...Sometimes I use the deeper grunt like you mentioned...I have also had good luck with the
Woods Wise Buck and Doe call, it is a higher pitched grunt call...As important as the tone in the call is how agressive you make it sound...I have had 1 1/2 year old bucks come in to deeper grunts, I just don't call in an agressive manner.....

If you hear a long, agressive call from a mature buck, call back that way...I've had them come running in....

Calling deer is a lot like using scents, you need to be in the woods enough to know what "mood" they are in so you know how they will respond....If you don't, leave it in your pack....Like any other tactic for whitetails, nothing works all the time...

I don't know if you bass fish, being from FL, I would bet you do...Remember how it can be in May and June??? Sometimes they want a buzz bait burning up the surface, seems you can't reel it too fast....Some days they want a plastic lizard, just barely moving...Same deal with deer....
Old 10-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a lot of "big" deer in my area either and I use a grunt call with great success on both doe and on bucks. I don't ever use the deep, mature buck grunt...I usually stay with the young buck or doe sounds (and yes I use a true talker as well). I have called deer back to within 50 yards of me after accidentily spooking them. I have always called really, really softly and no more than once every 30 minutes or so.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

All great info, makes alot of sense, Thanks guys & good luck this season.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

i grunted a 6 point in last weekend during muzzle loader season. he came straight in, like i had him on a rope. he was even grunting back at me. i got him to 67 yards before i dropped the hammer on him.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but I low-grunted a buck back into muzzleloader range a few weeks ago. He trotted off wondering what the heck he saw, and came back after I grunted at him.

He was pretty big and he wasn't "scared off" by any means. Being from Arkansas, we don't grow Saskatchewan bruisers either...but this big buck grunt was effective for me.

Good luck.