Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

washing before hunt

Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: washing before hunt

No reason to stop using it. I use it every time I get up to hunt. I think it's essential to de-scent yourself as much as possible, especially when bow hunting. That includes washing yourself and your clothes. I too use baking soda as toothpaste before leaving. I also useArm & Hammer deodorant. Then I spray myself down with scent killer. Then I rub pine needles and weeds on my clothing. Nothing wrong with going all out.I don't want to always worry about the wind, so I don't, and I kill plenty of deer and pass up plenty more.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

Sometimes i take a bath b4 headin out in unscented soap, especially during the rut.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Axe shower gel makes me smell good so I make a good impression for the ladies when I'm showing off my deer. 9 deer for 9 season without a drop of scentkiller.... HUNT THE WIND! they will never know you are there.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Just make sure it is no scent - some of the soaps are earth scent and even the ones that claim to be are not. Test it on you Dog. Take a bar and callthe Dogover to you, just hold it out like nothing special and if they sniff it and pull away it has scent - if tehy keep on it, even for a few seconds, they cannot smell it and are trying to get a wiff.

Proven trick - try it and you will be surprised.

I use DDW soaps and Code Blue Spray. No smell and we generally have good luck keeping the scent down. You know it when they blow and just can't get a wiff and keep trying.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bathe as normal, walk out to the front porch (open) and put on a military surplus chemical suit ($15 on e-bay), then put my camou over that. I get to the hunting site and rub dirt on my hands and gloves. Then shuffle my feet in the same dirt. Walk to the stand and shoot the deer of my choice. I have filled my tags every year I've hunted. But the choice is yours. If you feel scent killers are necessary use them. If you don't know, try the cheaper route and if it does not work for you, invest in the soap, gum, scent lok, etc. Good luck to all.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

All that mumbo jumbo about this and that and trying to keep oneself cleen.. a bunch of bunck,,<it's all a matter of being at the right place at the right time>,,you think early man/ancestors worried about that?,,i_don't_Think_so. You may see adds about how a product works by using the stuff but believe thats is all staged or on some private area with gorgeous monstrous critters.