Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

washing before hunt

Old 09-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default washing before hunt

How many of you wash in that scent killersoap? I have past few years I have but thinking of not doing it anymore. As long dont wash smelled good soaps normally use dont really see the point. As long the clothes scent free as possible feel thats good enough.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Default RE: washing before hunt

My wife (Full Time Hunter Also) always washes in scent free and scent killer soaps on our hunting clothes. She puts them in plastic or scent free bags after folding everything. Had to throw that in. Get a laugh out of it too. We used to use ultraviolet killer spray too. Actually worked very good. Had the best three seasons in a row using the ultraviolet spray. Don't know why I quit. Guess I couldn't find it any more. Anyway, scent free is a given. If you can't be scent free, then you are stuck to hunting the wind perfectly. So what happens when it swirls and you are only 30 yards away?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

I don't buy into all that scent killer coverup soap, gum, I will help you kill a deer stuff.

There is such a thing asfragerance (sp)free shampoo's. They are made for people who are allergic to such things and have sensitive skin. I use this, easy to find at Target, Walmart and other places.

For bad breath, I brush with baking soda or look for toothpaste with none of them breath freshning crystals and stuff. I also breath out of my nose, even when walking to my stands I walk slow to not make alot of noise and also to pace myself and not begin to sweat and pant like a dog.

I use stuff on my clothes to kill the new scent by washing themand when they get nasty from dragging out a deer or whatever.. But they stay in a big space bag and only come out when its time to go to work. I take them back off when I get out of the woods and they stay in that bag with earth scent dryer sheets and spray the whole time. Will wash them about once a week. I do use earth scent spray on my boots as I don't feel like putting on boots get to my hunting spot at 5am and change boots again.

Biggest help for me hunting. I use the wind to my advantage, and always have several spots to choose from to help with this. If the deer is in front of you and the wind in your face, half your job is done for you. Now just aim without being seen and make your shot count.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bathe with Irish Spring soap. Smells like the outdoors, and then I hunt with the wind.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use scent free soap.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

Got to use the scent free soap/detergent cause of allergies anyway so just use that to wash stuff.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I shower with Hunter Specialities green bodywash, then a rinse of baking soda solution. I don't towel off the rinse, just drip dry other than blotting my hair somewhat dry. I also use a baking soda rinse for my mouth before leaving. Washing yourself is the base of any scent reduction system, if you don't do that you'll smell stronger no matter how much you descent your clothing.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224

How many of you wash in that scent killersoap? I have past few years I have but thinking of not doing it anymore. As long dont wash smelled good soaps normally use dont really see the point. As long the clothes scent free as possible feel thats good enough.
Why would you not continue using the scent killer soap? It certainly cannot hurt your cause when you enter the deer woods.

We are dealing with the deer's ability to smell you. His sense of smell should never, everbe underestimated.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 AM

I do.. Can't stand how much it drys out my skin.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Quick Reply: washing before hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.