Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Beginner Hunter Guns..

Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Beginner Hunter Guns..

Mossberg has a combo field/deer shotgun at a decent price (~$350). For a deer only rifle I would go with a .243 or .270 but if you can shoot a 30-06 then you will be able to use the same rifle for deer and bigger game like bear. Savage, Rem have nice rifles.
The question is where are you going to shoot and at what distance. I am in the Northeast and most deers are taken at 100 yds or less. In this situation any legal calibers will do the job provided you can put the bullet in the right spot.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:47 PM

i used a remington 700 30.06 its accurate and range and i love it!!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you are small go with a 25.06 or a 243. if you cqan handle a big gun go with a 3030 30.06 .308 just do not get some off the wall caliber. that cost a lot

Also if you have the money ar15 make great hunting guns there semi auto hold a lot of shells and have low recoil and coem in cal.s from 5.56 or .223 up to the new .450 bushmaster
Old 10-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Be a man....shoot a 416 Rigby

Now, joking asside, I shoot a 7mm rem mag. Reason? I have an open window of shooting length. Out to 500 yds. Wont necessarily take that shot though. Most are in the 250-300 yd range or closer of course.

Id go 270 at least. That way if you ever decide to pursue elk or someting bigger, you have the gun for it.

Shotgun - mossberg 9200 is what i have. Its a semi-auto. Not made anymore, theres an upgraded version w/ a 3.5" chamber. Mines only 3"

As for brands, it doesnt matter. Sure there is quality difference, but theres also a price difference. Check your budget and go w/ that.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

all guns suggested would be great guns for deer hunting! but like some have said check and make sure that you can hunt with a rifle in your state, some states dont allow rifles! also if you arent going to be able to get a shot off at 500 yards due to thick brush of heavy wooded area then you dont need a 7 mm. if your longest shot wont be more than 100 yards i suggest a shotgun. the remington 870 is what my brother uses and he loves it, it is also a fairly resonably priced gun that will last forever! i use the Ithica deer slayer modle 37, it is a much cheaper gun than the 870 but it hasent let me down yet! it all depends on your budget, and dont worry so much about the recoil, it might kick like a mule when you sight it in but when that deer walks infront of your stand you wont feel that gun go off!As for what to shoot, well...... i got lucky and had a monster 8 point walk infront of me my first year, my brother harvested a doe for his first. dont be picky with your first deer, just get some experiance and have fun!!!! good luck!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remmington 30-06. Very good gun. Recoil is next to nothing, and its easy to carry around.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 PM

The guy that i go deer hunting is just a beginner and uses a .243 or .273 cant remember which one. Then for a shotgun I started off with a .12 guage.
Good Luck
Old 11-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

.243 rifle and i dont use shotguns much and i dont know what youll be hunting. last year was my first year ever going hunting and i used a .243 winchester. the gun has acceptionable accuracy range and power. ill tell you the truth, i hunted for 10 days straight last year not seeing a single thing and just telling myself since the first day that i would shoot the first thing that came out. on that 11th day i was hunting with my dad again and there it was a deer. all i saw was the body not caring if it had antlers or not and i shot and dropped it. once we got to it we saw that i had shot a nice 8 pnt. but ill tell you if that deer had been a doe, i would of shot and been just as happy.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: makinbacon06

I'm beginner hunter and was just wondering what a good begginner Rifle and Shotgun would be? As of right now I use my cousins guns but I'm looking into gettin my own. And I'll be going Deer hunting for my first time in December.. Should I harvest a doe or wait for the "right" buck to come along?
Its your first deer, do what you want. Shoot a doe if that's what comes along, or wait for horns. Get one under your belt and then you can take your time after that.

As far as guns go, 243 is minimum that I would recommend. 30-30 is a great low recoiling gun also and packs a little more punch with a bigger hole to get 'em leakin'. 257 roberts and 25-06 are great guns also for small and young people that are not yet immune to recoil. Just remember that the punishing side of the gun is in the front, and the recoil won't feel so bad in perspective. practice!

A shotgun is a little more of a personal item. The gun has to fit your eye/face interface with the gun. I have owned shotguns I couldn't hit $h!t with, and others that I could hit anything if I had my eyes opened and just looked at the target.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as doe or buck, the question is, do you want a deer more than a set of antlers? If you want a deer, take a good doe if she shows herself first. If antlers are what you want, then pass her up. Last season, I was trying for my first deer and I set a goal: shoot the first legal deer that appeared, unless it was really small. It turned out to be a big doe. It was incredible and it didn't matter a bit that it didn't have antlers. This year, the goal is a buck with at least two points on a side.

I'd say think it through and set some goals.

You're getting a lot of info that's good on what gun. I won't bombard you with more. Is there anything you've been liking when using your cousin's guns? That might help you out on that.

Quick Reply: Beginner Hunter Guns..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.