Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

attract scents

Old 09-19-2007, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default attract scents

I have never really had any good luck with attract scents. At about $4.00 for an bottle of doe in heat is it really worth it? How do you know that buck that came in wasnt just walking though. Most of the time I feel thats the case. I have had deer stop and small the scent bomb I put out. Though out the season I may spend $20.00 or more on attract scents. Just trying to find out if its really worth it.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: attract scents

It depends on how you define "worth it". You said that you've had them stop and take a sniff, and that's pretty much what they're for. If they came in from downwind then it's a good bet that it was your lure that attracted them. Mix in some "steps" of interdigital gland scent with boot pads in a mock trail leading to your scent bomb, IG from a single deer is preferred. I use Deer Danderâ„¢ cover scent, it does seem to attract them as advertised. You may also wish to try scent lures other than Tinks, food lures such as a vanilla based acorn scent will attract does, and bucks tend to follow the scent of does whether they're in heat or not. One of my favorites is persimmon for wooded settings, or apple for clear areas where there may be an apple tree or two within range. Apple cider is around $3 per gallon, I carry it in a trigger spray bottle and mist the air occasionally, you can also saturate scent pads with it. Even if nearby apple trees don't currently have fruit on them this can attract deer. Our state is experiencing a poor mast year this season due to the hot weather, so food scented lures could help a bit this year once the ag crops are gone. For early season I'd go with a corn scent, once the drops are cleaned out of the fields this should keep them coming in.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:36 PM

Default RE: attract scents

I used the deer dander last year and I also think that it does attract the deer.