Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Cost of Deer Tags

Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Spike

Default RE: The Cost of Deer Tags

To answer your question, it's Oklahoma. If you happen to be a resident, you can buy a lifetime hunting license, a lifetime fishing license or a combination. After that, all you ever have to buy is the Federal Duck Stamp if you shoot waterfowl or migratory birds. If you ever happen to move out of state, you can still hunt here for your lifetime. The money goes into a pool where they use the interest to buy public hunting land that all can use. I believe they have the same thing in Texas. I'm sure the costs have gone up, but if you are young or planning on living for a while, it pays off in money saved and goes for a good cause. You also don't have to forget about not having a license when the new year comes around. I bought a lifetime hunting only at first but I was crappie fishing with a buddy of mine just after the first of the year one time and realized that I had forgotten to buy my fishing license. We had to get the boat out of the water and go back to town to buy a license.
The end of that year, I bought a lifetime fishing to go with my lifetime hunting. Now I don't have to worry about my memory or loss of it. You should check with your individual states. There may be more opportunities like this in other states as well. It's pretty hard to come up with the money when you're young though. The lifetime licenses are usually pretty steep and take a few years to pay off. I bought my ex-wife one too. That was a waste but at least it went to a good cause. Maybe some people are getting to hunt on public land that I helped pay for.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

I live in Indiana and my wife bought me a lifetime hunting about 15 years ago and I think the price was 450-500 dollars. It includes all your tags and bonus tags as well as your turkey stamp. It does not include federal bird stamp. You could also get hunting&fishing or just fishing or just hunting. Indiana quit the program for a while but I think you can get them again, but am not sure on that. To tag an animal you just fill out a slip of paper with your name, address, date and county of kill and your license number and attatch to the animal.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BikerJoe

What state is that, I never heard of a lifetime license? You don't need tags to go with the license?
Texas has a lifetime license.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Oklahoma lifetime hunting license is $625. If you deer and turkey hunt it will pay in about 4 years. 6 deer tags x $20. hunting license $20, legacy fee $5, and 2 turkey tags x $10 = $165 / year. 165 x 4 = 660.

I think mine was $525 like 6 years ago. My Dad's was like $175 in the 80's.

I am very satisfied with mine.