Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scouting

Old 09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scouting

ok I've read alot of tips people give about how to scout for deer in August/September, but they mostly talk about scouting in their land, so my question is i'm not that lucky to have my own land, but I do hunt in public land andI was wondering where do I start there? I mean I've read about "look for the food source" and I did, I found an area with alot of acorns and it looked like a deer highway, but no deer just a really longtrail. I mean my season starts October 1st, do I hunt the spotI found? or do I keep looking?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scouting

a good place to start is anywhere inbetween the food source (acorns) and their bedding area. also look for rubs and scrapes in the area, both of these are signs of bucks in the area. if you find 1 scrape, there are usually more. bucks tend to make "scrape lines" with numerous scrapes. more than 1 buck will use these scrapes. we have trail cams showing as many as 15 different bucks using 1 scrape. as it get's closer to the rut (when the majority of the does come in heat) the bucks will be checking these scrapes several times a day in attempts to locate a "hot" doe. once a "hot" doe is located, the buck(s) will be so focused on her that they will lower their caution and make more mistakes. don't get depressed if you find no buck sign in the area you've scouted. food sources are a great place to hunt and where there's does....the bucks will come.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer Tracks
Deer Trails
Deer Bedding Areas
Deer Droppings
Feeding Areas
Scrapes
Buck Rubs
Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 PM

rebel hog that was some good information
Old 09-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

in the same boat that you are in. I am going to purchase a trail camera and when i find i place that i want to know if deer visit, i will throw the camera up and see if i got any movment!