Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Conservation Officers??

Old 09-02-2007, 02:56 PM

Default RE: Conservation Officers??

In Mississippi, it's all about who you know and how high up they are. Very policitcal field to get into. I will not say it's "elite" because I believe EVERY field in law enforcement is as necessary as the next. I do drug interdiction on a major interstate and don't consider my job any more "elite" than a patrolman or dispatcher. Whether your a county mounty(deputy), city kitty(city cop), or smoky bear(highway patrol) you still wear a badge and gun. Just remember, you have the most responsible job in the world. Treat it as such. You carry a gun that'll take husbands from wives, daughters/sons from parents, and moms and dads away. However, sometimes it is needed. Be careful and enjoy the field, I know I am. I am getting out of law enforcement at this present time. I'm going to school to be a teacher because I'd like to be a football coach. I can't, however, see myself EVER getting out of this field entirely. Once you get started you'll love it.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:46 PM

You may have to be willing to relocate. My daughter and I just took the Hunter safety course for GA. Great course and our CO was a riot. You will be invited to some of the best hunting in the area you work in for sure. One heck of a perk.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

A biology degree would be a big plus.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Check this article out and see what you think.

I can't remember, but I THINK that that article had read was specific to Pensylvanial but hit on the fact other states are having trouble too.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2007/09/02/a9b_outdoors_0902.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7& cxcat=76
Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know in South Dakota it is a very tough field to get into. One of my roommates from college graduated very high in his class,and he is still un-employed 2 years after his graduation in a wildlife related field. About a year ago he was in the final 5 applicants for a single job that about 500 people applied for. Needless to say, he didn't get the job.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I work for a local police dept. in Southern IL. The IL dept of Conservation is ran through the IL State Police Districts. You might consider getting on with a local sheriffs office or police dept for expericene. I have a buddy that had 5 years experience in local law enforcement. He applied with the Dnr and was hired several weeks later. I know they have just hired 12 new CPO's and several will be retiring in the near future. Good luck and get those poachers!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bhunter50

I am currently closing in on the completion of my Bachelor's Degree in Law Enforcement and Justice Administration at Western Illinois University.
Can't help you with your question, but, just wanted to say that I'm also a WIU graduate. BA - Honors, 1980. Major in Poli Sci, Minor in LEA. Good luck to a fellow Leatherneck!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

Hey thanks ipscshooter, Go Necks! and thanks to everyone else for your input. I know it is a difficult field to get into but I believe for me it is well with the resilience and patience couple with some hard work! I think it would be an ideal job for me, I love hunting and would have a fantastic time cracking down on wildlife law-breakers, especially poachers!! thanks and hopefully in about a 10 months i will have a success story for you!

Happy Hunting!