Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PGC officers were in MD tonite >

PGC officers were in MD tonite

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC officers were in MD tonite

Old 04-28-2005, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PGC officers were in MD tonite

I was on the way to my sofball game tonite, and saw 4 vehicles parked along a back one lane road. They all had big 4' antenna's sticking out of the drivers door, and as I got closer I noticed they had PGC symbols on their doors. I thought this was odd concidering I was about 4 miles into MD. So 4 hours later I am returning home and they are all still parked there, well curiosity got the best of me and I stopped and asked what they were doing. A girl in one of the vehicles (who was very polite I might add) proceeded to tell me that they were there tracking some tagged BATS?????????? She said the bats that they tagged flew into MD and they were monitoring them. Wow, didnt realize some of the money you guys put out for hunting tags and fishing licenses go to tracking bats!!!! Anyone else find this a little humorous??? Imagine the cost of 4 fully equipped vehicles, (they had computer screens mounted on the dash of all the vehicles to track them) and at least 4 officers to sit along side a road for 4+ hours doing this.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PGC officers were in MD tonite

Liars ,I bet. Think they could of come up with a better story then that. I have some ideas what they might of been doing,but I aint starting no rumors
Old 04-28-2005, 05:19 AM

PGC is responsible for the mammels of Pennsylvania. They are much much more than just deer.
Species of Special Interest

Rumors start when you don't have a clue and you think you do.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:35 AM

One year Maryland DNR spent $10,000 to count butterflys.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

PGC is responsible for the mammels of Pennsylvania.
PGC must slash $3,000,000 by June 30.
If this story is true, I think their bat program should of been cut, not the pheasant program.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, was she hot?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:28 PM

I'll one up ya...
Responding to the dramatic rediscovery of the Ivory-billed woodpecker at the Cache River National Wildlife Refuge in Arkansas, Interior Secretary Gale Norton and Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced a multi-year, multi-million-dollar partnership effort to aid the rare bird’s survival. The bird has been thought to be extinct in the United States for more than 60 years.

This is a rare second chance to preserve through cooperative conservation what was once thought lost forever, Norton said. “Decisive conservation action and continued progress through partnerships are now required. I will appoint the best talent in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and local citizens to develop a Corridor of Hope Cooperative Conservation Plan to save the Ivory-billed woodpecker.

The Corridor of Hop refers to the Big Woods of Arkansas, an area about 120 miles long and up to 20 miles wide in eastern Arkansas where the Ivory-billed woodpecker has been sighted. The Interior Department, along with the Department of Agriculture, has proposed that more than $10 million in federal funds be committed to protect the bird. This amount would supplement $10 million already committed to research and habitat protection efforts by private sector groups and citizens, an amount expected to grow once news of the rediscovery spreads.

Federal funds will be used for research and monitoring, recovery planning and public education. In addition, the funds will be used to enhance law enforcement and conserve habitat through conservation easements, safe-harbor agreements and conservation reserves. "Finding a species once thought extinct is a rare and exciting event, and USDA is pleased to be a partner in the effort to protect Ivory-billed woodpeckers, Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said. At the same time, we understand that habitat conservation can impact landowners. That's why we're going to reach out to work cooperatively with stakeholders so we can all share in the joy of this discovery."

The action by Secretary Norton and Secretary Johanns came in response to news from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, The Nature Conservancy, and other members of the Big Woods Conservation Partnership that they had collected primary and secondary evidence of the bird’s existence in the Cache River National Wildlife Refuge. The primary evidence consists of video footage, while the secondary evidence consists of seven eye-witness sightings and audio evidence of the Ivory-billed woodpecker. In addition, recordings of the distinctive double rap of the bird are still under analysis. After conducting its own peer reviews of the evidence, the journal Science is now publishing these findings. Secretary Norton congratulated Dr. John Fitzpatrick, Director of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Scott Simon, Arkansas State Director of The Nature Conservancy, for the cooperative, diligent, year-long research of their teams.

Following credible reports of sightings of the bird, a multi-partner team led by Fitzpatrick and Simon, assisted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission and the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission spent more than a year in the Big Woods of Arkansas searching for this rare bird. The evidence collected led scientists to conclude that the Ivory-billed woodpecker is now present in the Big Woods of Arkansas.

“Our next step to recover the bird must be as patient and thoughtful as the collection of evidence to confirm the existence of the bird, Norton said. As we learn more, we will adjust our cooperative management effort. The Ivory-billed woodpecker, the largest woodpecker in the United States, is the second largest in the world and had been one of six species of birds in North America thought to be extinct.

Prior to this recent rediscovery, there had been no confirmed sightings of the bird in more than 60 years. After consulting with Governor Mike Huckabee and other officials at the federal, state and local levels, the Interior Department will appoint members to a Corridor of Hope Cooperative Conservation team. Sam Hamilton, Regional Director for the Southeast Region of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, will lead the team. Secretary Norton also announced that the Department will appoint technical experts to assist the conservation team in writing a recovery plan. The team will include Dr. Jim Tate, Science Advisor to Secretary Norton and a noted ornithologist, and David Mehlman, Director of the Migratory Bird Program at The Nature Conservancy.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:53 PM

I'd be willing to bet these "bat tracking vehicals" would track virtually any animal you put a radio collar on. They may have been tracking bats last night and tonight they might be tracking bears from the same trucks.

I do find it odd that they were tracking them out of state though.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

So in other words the PGC has 4 Batmobiles and at least one Batwoman!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3

Rumors start when you don't have a clue and you think you do.
who the hell are you to make a comment like this????? I reported what I saw, I backed it up with data that I aquired from the individuals performing the task, and I posted it here........the fact of the matter is, your states game commision was in another state last night for over 4 hours tracking bats, is that what you thought the money you paid for your hunting license would be used for? How many licenses would it take to be sold to pay for something like that?

Quick Reply: PGC officers were in MD tonite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.