Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Genetics, genetics, genetics........ >

Genetics, genetics, genetics........

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Genetics, genetics, genetics........

Old 08-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Genetics, genetics, genetics........

All these big hunters out there are always talking about genetics in the bucks, but what about the does???? They are made the same exact way bucks are made. If they are always focusing on the bucks getting to breed and dont take care of some of the does that have inferior geneitcs then it really doesnt matter. Some people refuse to kill does, but they are carriers of the same good or bad genetics of their father. Sorry for my useless rambling, but it just crossed my mind one day.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Genetics, genetics, genetics........

It's kindahard to tell which does are the ones carrying the bad genes.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that it is hard actually probably impossible, just people need to stop just focusing on harvesting inferior bucks and start harvesting more does if they really want a good herd.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

We try to harvest at least as many does as bucks on our lease. But, it seems to me that the more important element, as long as your herdis within the carrying capacity of the land, is to stop the inferior bucks from breeding. It seems to me that shooting does is only essential to the extent that you don't want to overpopulate your habitat. I'd hate to shoot a doe that had just been impregnated with a future 220" 12 point...
Old 08-30-2007, 04:39 PM

The problem with the theory of harvesting "more does" is that you are killing the good genetic does with the bad genetic does.

There are a few ways to manipulate doe genetics.

Deer breeders can work both sides of the equation by recording offspring from does and seeing what they grow up to be. Doing that they can figure out which does have good or bad genetics.

Out in the pasture, you can do what is called a doe flip if you have decent control of a hunting area. It doesn't have to be high fenced. You heavily manage your buck/doe ratio and your buck herd. Once you have had your bucks culled down to what you want, you leave all the yearlings and doe fawns and shoot all the mature does.

In theory the younger does should have better genetics because only the better bucks have been allowed to breed and produce offspring. You then let these does grow up and in 6 or 7 years you do the same thing.

Attempting this kind of thing should be at the tail end of implimenting a management plan when all the MAJOR things that effect antler size have been or are being dealt with on the buck side.

1) age
2) genetics
3) nutrition

Old 08-30-2007, 09:59 PM

That in my mind marko seems kind of...excessive. I think that a herd of bucks with odd antlers might be rather interesting. lol
Old 08-31-2007, 07:29 AM

Well since this thread seems to be about "pet peeves" I will give you mine.

I Absolutely hate hate hate the term Herd management when speaking of deer. It sounds like you're talking about cattle. I guess my problem with it is that it comes from the High fence crowd.

In Fair chase hunting the only thing you can do is let the young bucks walk and hope the next guy does too. Plant a few food plots etc.in the hope that it provides some extra nutrition etc. Maybe put out some corn in the winter to help the critters make it through the tough season.

All the talk about culling undesireable bucks etc. reeks of Captive deer to me.

Sorry for the rant.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

I Absolutely hate hate hate the term Herd management when speaking of deer. It sounds like you're talking about cattle. I guess my problem with it is that it comes from the High fence crowd.

In Fair chase hunting the only thing you can do is let the young bucks walk and hope the next guy does too. Plant a few food plots etc.in the hope that it provides some extra nutrition etc. Maybe put out some corn in the winter to help the critters make it through the tough season.

Sorry for the rant.

I agree with that. I dont even understand the point of high fenced hunting. Ruins the sport.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Sorry for the rant.

Your DNR talks about Deer Herd and Management.

If you are against any sort of management/culling period you are way out in left field with even most of the people that don't like/understand large high fenced places.

I'm sure everyone else will write down your definition of fair chase and abide by it to please you.

Please don't discredit my knowledge or degrate me as some ingrate for having it because ONE of the places I hunt is thousands of acres with a 6-8 foot fence around it that deer jump REGULARLY.

MANY of the advances in understanding of whitetails have originated in South Texas and are now helping people in other parts of the country.

You are entitled to your opinion about me, High Fences, and your sense of ethics, but there was no reason to bring it on to this thread and change the subject. This is the second time you have done this on a thread where I have posted.

A question was asked, I answered it.

I don't appreciate the sucker punch.

"Sorry for the Rant"