Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ? >

Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ?

Old 08-27-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ?

Due to various ailments I can't climb anymore. Where I hunt is thick and brushy and it's hard to find sign as the ground is very rocky large tracts of public land (Mo.)and No crops. Any suggestions ?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ?

I hunt Lead Mines State Forest just North of Buffalo.Kill Deer all the time either setting up in a Downfall or up under a Cedar.

Killed them 5-10 yards from me.

big rockpile
Old 08-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

Last year, I got my 1st bow kill and it was from a tree. I have killed all other deer(12-15) from the ground. Try to keep the wind in your face and the sun to your back. Ground blinds, make shift or bought can be very useful.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:24 AM

You dont have to be in a tree, but you do have to be more dilligent about breaking up your background etc the closer to eye level you are.

Invisiblinds (those boxes where you shoot through mesh) work great for deer if you can get them to get used to them being there, and they are death on turkeys.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

my first year hunting i helped a friend drag a 10 point buck out of the woods and across a dry lake bed and he did nothing but sit next to a tree and not move and shot the buck 10 yards away with a 30.06 and droped it where it stood
Old 08-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm disabled and have a permit to hunt from a vehicle,I've killed deer and turkey from my Honda ATV...
Old 08-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Get an Ameristep doghouse blind.I've had fantastic success with mine.Only weighs about 6 lbs.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 PM

I have hunted ground blinds, box blindsand stands over the years. My blinds are left up all year round. Have harvested many from the ground. Have had them walk within 10 ft or so of the blind. Keep scent down and hunting the ground will be verysuccessful and rewarding. Good hunting!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with using a ground blind especially if your limited in walking or moving around.You can put a chair inside the blind and sit comfortably for hours and if it rains or snows you have protection from the elements!Be sure to use some natural cover to brush in the blind so it doesn't stick out.

My Blind has 4 small square patches on each side of it to fold down and expose 4 orange hunter safety markers showing others your blind is there and to be safe.I had several turkeys and a young Buck walk up to my blind this Spring so I'm a firm believer in how well they work,I also hunt out of several tree stands.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

You definetly dont need to hunt in a tree to kill a deer. Ive killed more deer on the ground than i have in a tree.

Quick Reply: Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.