Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling (Bad experience)

Old 08-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rattling (Bad experience)

Posted this in The Northeast section too.

Hey guys I have a question. last year I was Bow hunting the edge of a hugefield and was hidden on the ground in some thick brush.I had a nice 31/2 yr oldbuck about 150 yards away. It was late in the rut towards the end. He was just kind of mulling around and grazing. I had never rattled before and decided to give it a try. As soon asI hit the horns, the deer took off like abat out of hell. He was not looking in my directiona and i am positive he did not see me. You would have thought that i fired a shotgun the way he ran off.

I am in Long island NY. I realize that T.V is a half hour of action outof hundreds of hours of sittingand waitingbut whenever i see them rattle the deer do not take off. Does area or stateplay a role? Any reason that i had this experience. I am afraid to try rattling again.

What do you think? thanks

Old 08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rattling (Bad experience)

yeah I've scared off a few deer in my life. Though most of them were closer than that and 99% of them I didn't know were there until they bounded away. I think it has to do w/the loud crashing of horns together. I learned that if you 'tinkle' the horns together a bit before you go hard at it then it helps.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 PM

It almost seems like something else might have been at play here. Maybe the deer was already alerted to another danger.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe he had previously tangled with the "boss hog" from that area of the woods, and didn't want any part of doing it again...
Old 08-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, i appreciate the info. i think I will give it another shot this year. Pre-rut though.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

[8D] Rattling [8D]

Your buck must have had his butt kicked previously as he wanted nothing to do with the buck that was making all the noise. You'll experience a lot more of that and different scenarios too. Does will come in to see who the big guys is too.They'll charge in,sometimes you won't even know he was their and hear a branch break as he departs after seeing you. 90% of the time u better get them antlers down when your done to prevent the deer from seeing your movement because they can pinpoint where the rattling came from to a tee. Don't give up and yes it also has a lot to do the buck to doe ratio too. Keep at it,it's an exciting way to hunt.
Rocky
Old 08-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

yeah I've scared off a few deer in my life. Though most of them were closer than that and 99% of them I didn't know were there until they bounded away. I think it has to do w/the loud crashing of horns together. I learned that if you 'tinkle' the horns together a bit before you go hard at it then it helps.
I'm not sure that"tinkling" on the horns will work, you might stink afterwards. Try"tickling" instead!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:29 PM

I've scared deer off doing that before. Deer just have to be in the right mood to come in to the horns. You just found one that wasn't in the mood.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

As was mentioned, start very soft and then work your volume up...

Old 08-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

You rattled at the wrong time. The deer was in plain site, break out your grunt tube. Also if you do decide to rattle when a buck is plain site, soft ticks and clicks is all you need, the sound carries quite a ways. Dont go bashing the bag or antlers right away, thats not how deer fight, you have to build up to that point. You need to practice with your gear before heading afield with it. good luck this year.