Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How did you get that first deer? >

How did you get that first deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How did you get that first deer?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 AM

Default How did you get that first deer?

Well, after many unsuccesful years (missing, falling asleep) last season i had the opportunity to take my very first deer. Now, i could have taken a doe every season but my Dad is dead set against that so its bucks only for us. I was sitting on a hill side and just about to leave the woods when i heard a rustling in the distance. I decided it was probably just a squirrel (like always) and started gathering my things to walk out of the woods. Then the rustling got louder, and from what i could tell was coming neer me. The next thing i knew i had a buck walking straight towards me from my left side. I clicked the safety off of my .243 and followed him in with my scope. When he hit about 40 yards he stopped and turned, showing me a perfect broad side, i assumed he was about to run up the very hill side i was sitting on so i took my shot. The shot struck the lung perfectly..being eager and not wanting to lose my buck, while he was running off i took a second shot which severed the spine and he was down for good. It was and is one of the best memories i have to date. Anyone else want totell their "first deer" story?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How did you get that first deer?

The day was 11/13/79, my brother an I had drug a wooden deer stand that we had built about 3/4'smile an placed on the side of a ridge. I had been watching the area. There were several scrapes an some rubs on some trees that were about 4 inchesin dia. I was sitting in the standabout 10 feet off the ground anhe came over the ridge about 0930. I shot him right square behind the shoulder an he ran past me an Ishot him again. He layed down about 100 yds away. I went home an got my mother an we drove the 1977 chevrolet pickup down to the area an loaded him up. He was an 8 pointeran stunk something terrible.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first deer was one of the toughest animals ive ever seen. Someone had shot him about 2 miles away, and ripped open his guts, he ended up walking through the woods 2 miles to right under my stand, where i shot him with a dubble lung shot, and he still ran another 40 yards with his guts basiclly dragging on the floor, and a bullet in both lungs, i know he walked 2 miles cause i met the guy who shot him at first.

I was actually getting readyto leave, it was 11 am, i was with my dad and i saidto him lets go, hesaid lets wait 10 more minz, and 2 minz later he came.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

!970 Jumped a Buck up.I was using a Single Shot12ga. with Slugs.I followed the Buck for a ways.Then back tracked to where I jumped him.Setting there seen him coming,got my Gun up took a Bead,pull the Hammer back,his ears go up,I pulled the trigger he goes down.He goes down and is kicking.I reload and close the Gun on my Coveralls.He is kicking and I'm trying to get loose.He gets up,I get loose,shoot again,drop him on a fence.

That was fun!

big rockpile
Old 08-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

12 years old opening morning of a special youth anterless mule deer draw, group of deer passed through a saddle on their way to bed @ approx 100 yards. Took aim on a single doe that offered a clear broadside shot, squeezed the trigger and down she went. I followed that up 2 weeks later with my first whitetail buck and finished my first biggame hunting season later that week by taking a young bull moose, who just happened tostep out on a cut whiledad was relieving himself.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad and I were hunting over some milo stubble when I was 12(first year of deer hunting)and a little buck came out about 125 yards away. We were hunting withmy dad'sopen-sighted muzzleloader and a scoped 6mm that my uncle had suddenly decided to loan us that night. Anyway, I had the muzzleloader, so dad handed me the 6mm so I could shoot it when it turned broadside. Well, it turned.........and started coming straight at us. It kept coming closer and closer, until it was at 15 yards. It finally turned broadside and I shot it at 15 yards through a 3x scope.A little to close for a scope!!!Anyway, I got him, and you never saw a happier 12 year old!!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 AM

i started out into weopons and did not start hunting till i was in my 20's. i used to walk around on timber co. roads taking the gun for a walk.actually had a couple of shots but missed. i wanted to get serious and hooked up with a bow hunter, i practiced with my used bow and he put me on a hot stand .i arrowed a 4 pt, after that gun hunting was much easier after looking at it like a bow hunter.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:08 AM

I think I was 5. Cut down .222. Never looked back.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad would carry me to a club in south Georgia to hunt. I think I was 12 when he let me sit in a stand by myself. The club was loaded with deer and my dad told me to takefill some doe tags.I sat on a popular club standon apowerline where I could see forever, only problem was I had a 12 gauge with buckshot (I didn't have a rifle back then). Two does came out on the food plot around 30 yds,I put the bead on oneand fired. The does I was shooting at broke and run, and the other just picked it head up. I immediately aimed and shot the other doe too, dropping her instantly.We looked for the first doe I shot at for over an hour, no blood ever found. Anyway, I was so proud of the one I got. I forgot to mention it was only a doe yearling, around 60 lbs
Old 08-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Right place, right time, bang.

Quick Reply: How did you get that first deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.