Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How did you get that first deer? >

How did you get that first deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How did you get that first deer?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How did you get that first deer?

I started hunting at 15 in the 1986-1987 season. I went all season and finally on Jan 1, I killed a doe and on Jan 2, I killed a 135 class 9 pointer. The doe I was in a field that was well traveled and I made the shot running at 35 yards, with 00 buck. The next day I was on an old road and the buck walked out and stood at 40 yards. My son will be hunting with me this year and he is 8. I hope to report on his first deer soon.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 AM

The first deer I shot was a little tramatic for me. You see my dad had to threaten me with a beating to make me sit still long enough. all Season long I would sit for about 20 minutes and think I had been sitting forever. I'd climb down go tromping through the woods toward My fathers stand. I'd show up and he'd be pissed.

"What in the world are you doing walking around at 7:30 am? You fool this is the best time to be hunting!"

"Well, I thought that I should come see if you had got one!"

thats how it went for the whole season. Untill the last day, Dad sat me down and told me that if I got out of the stand before he came back to get me that He would not only beat me until I couldn't still down, but I wouldn't be allowed to hunt next year.

So there I sit sniffling, Thinking:
" 'he was the biggest jerk ever created. Time crept by, It seemed like days and weeks I sat in that stand. I just Knew dad had left the country and wasn't coming back. If he was coming back for me he would have been here by now. It had to be after noon. OH he's lost his mind and abandoned me for sure."

'Wait, whats that sound! It sounds like someone's tromping through the woods to me. Dad has finally returned, No its a deer...... A huge deer. Better shoot this is the world's record deer for sure......BANG Down flops The world's record single spike. No not your everyday ordinary spike with one on both sides, but a truely original monster spike with only One 4 inch spike. shortly after Dad finally showed up after walking to my stand when he heard the shot. I grabbed his arm and looked at the watch and it was 9:15 am. OBTW I was 12.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 AM

I was in Southern Illinois and scouted a plot of property. I found the only climbable tree in the place and made my stand there. Next morning, a 8 point buck walks directly underneath me. The angle was really screwy, so I had to wait to take the shot, which was a kill. Probably could have stabbed him instead of shooting!!!

All-in-all, it was entirely too easy and not very much fun - not much of a hunt at all.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM

i was 14, and a small 6 point walked out. i was hunting w/ a 30-30 open sights, had 6 bullets in it. i shot the 1st shot and the buck didnt move, think he was in shock. shot 4 more time and still he didnt move. final shot i was thinkin man i have to get it w/ this 1. bang.....he drops on the spot. after that day i will never hunt a deer w/ open sights again. i have yet to hear of a deer do what that buck did. (stand there and look at me like "what the hell are you doing")
Old 08-29-2007, 04:41 PM

Walking down an old logging road when he ran out of the woods. He crossed the road about 25 yards ahead of me and went into the big ditch beside the road. As he went up the far side, I fired and hit him in the back of the neck, just below the head. Was using an old Marlin .44-40 sadlegun.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:09 PM

At the ripe 'ol age of 47 I finally got my first dear after 24 years of military duty that kept me out of the states most of my life.

Hunt was a still hunt in Northern Virginia, the day after Thanksgiving, 2006.

Saw what I thought was a doe coming down the hillside opposite the hilliside I was on. Drew a bead on the deer with my Marlin 30-30, standing, offhand, at approximately 50yards, tried to lead the dear as it walked--i didn't think of making a noise to make it stop--and shot. Hit the deer in the neck and dropped it like a sack of potatoes.

Climbed down my hill, hiked up the other side,and found out that I had shot a button buck and not a doe. Not the best choice, but it was my first dear.

Going to try blind hunting this year with a bow and see if my luck holds out and I can get a doe or a buck (a real one this time) with my bow the first year out.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Back in 93 my first deer hunting experience - I was hunting with an old friend near some property of his - I was dressed in brown coveralls with a blue stretch hat much like the skin tight underarmor wear - not much on camo back in the days but I figured not much would take place and I would enjoy a handpicked spot near a cedar - relax and enjoy the sun come up and let my breath filter through the morning sunshine. Around day break I could hear leaves crunching behind me just a few steps - I though squirrel? I was hunting with my dads 35 rem so I positioned the gun to my left so I could just ease it up for an easy shot if it was not a squirrel. Well, I could not resist the pressure so I peaked over my left shoulder and there stood a huge buck (less than 10 feet)- being fresh to the hunting world I thought it was a descent buck - As it would happen the buck moved off to my left from behind me - all I could see was rack walking away - so what did I do - I followed the deer throught the woods probably 30 yards watching him - he would step - I would step - he crested a hill and I double timed it to the crest when he disappeared over the top - When I approached the crest he was about 30 yards down hill - I positioned the rifle between two trees and shot - he went down - I told my friend who was hunting with me that day I would just keep the horns. He had this crazy look on his face - the buck scored in the high 150's - imagine that for a beginner - 14 years later - I take another buck in the 150's - Camo - Shooting sticks - scent bombs - you name it I have it - first time - brown coveralls and a 35 remington - go figure!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:16 PM

First time I actually shot a deer was when my dad told me to finish off one of his that was on the ground wounded with a hit to the spine. Head shot did it.

My first actual deer was when I was 13. I finally got to sit in a stand by myself. I had hunted a 180 acre plot of land almost every day and saw nor hair nor limb of a deer and no one else hunting there did either. Last day of the season we had about 40 people do a drive while my dad and I sat in stands. Well about 10 minutes into the driving I see legs moving into the woods and soon a deer comes running across this narrow shooting lane we had. My gun was up so I quick eased off the safety, followed (not lead) the deer and shot. Turns out my shot ended up in the back half of the deer but it dropped like brick. My first deer was a nub buck, but it was a deer and i was proud as heck. By the way, the drivers were actually going in the complete opposite direction. I guess I got the dumb one[8D]
Old 08-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Spike

Well it was just last year. I am 28 and just started hunting. My dad was never the big outdoors type.

Anyway I took a week off during Jan (rut peak in AL) the last day we went in about 0400. I sat on the ground facing a pine thicket until about 0900. My buddy sat about 400-500 yrds off to my right. Well I got bored and walked over and we stood there talking and just hanging out. Well all the sudden he gets the crazy look on his face. " Dude don't move." Why? "There is a deer behind you." Now my buddy is a joker but sure enough about 100 yrds down the feild stood a doe working her way around a big pine tree. Well I had to sit there for what seemed like forever waiting on her to come aorund the other side of the tree. Finally she did but looked up directly at me. I aimed at her head and squeezed. A miss! She didn't move....my buddy was scream whispering "shoot her again, shoot her again!!" LOL She took two steps to her right and I shot her right behind her shoulder. She fell two yards away. Awesome!! Can't wait for my first buck.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Spike

At the age of 38 (last year) I was able to take my first deer.

I was hunting with a friend of mine at my in-laws place and we had found a place that we thought would be ideal. Unfortunately it wasn't and was spotted by the first doe that was coming through. We decided that we would try to sit up at the house and glass the area to see how the deer were moving during the day.I looked at the area where we were that morn and therewas a smallbuck. My buddy asked are you gonna take it and I said that I was. We stepped out, about 20 feet from the front door and set up. I was so nervous that when I fired I thought that Imissed him. But,only a second later he dropped where he was standing. Ihit him in with a neck shot and didn't have to worry about chasing.

Quick Reply: How did you get that first deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.