Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestand Question

Old 08-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Treestand Question

Put out before opening morning. Use a thick chain and a large master lock. When the theives look up in the tree and see that, they will move to the next guy's stand.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few suggestions. Most criminals are lazy therefore they are opportunists. Hence, the more work you make them do to steal your stand the less chance it will occur.

I was reading a study that says most hunters don't hunt more than a 100 yards from a road. Therefore, hunt 200+ yards in if that is a possibility. I also use a cable lock, and a chain (2 locking devices). Take down any screw in steps/ladders as well. Lastly, place the stand in good cover, so it won't be easily noticed. Even doing all this I can't guarantee your stand won't get stolen, but these are good preventitive measures to take.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there's that much of a threat for theft just a week before the season I would suggest finding another spot. Chances are there's too much pressure in that area.

Moving in 200 yardsor even more sounds advantageous.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

sorry I did'nt get back right away to ya,mystands are out now except for one I'm hanging it sat.get that thing out there as early as you can I got mine in pine trees in the oaks, I think I got the two biggest pines around the pine trees give you a good scent cover also the better your stand is concealed the better chance you have of being undetected by any deer or thieve,just make you a couple of windows to shoot out of,I like mine between 20 an 22FT. and I like to try to get of the runway or travel route 20 to 25 YDS. that way you can get a double lung shot,If your not comfortable being that high go a little lowerthey have black cable locks at dick's for $10.00 don't go by your self when you hang your standMAKE SURE TO WEAR A SAFETY HARNESS WHILE HUNTING
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

whackem and stackin did you get your stand up yet