Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Crossbow or Cross-Blows

Old 08-24-2007, 03:28 AM
Spike

Default Crossbow or Cross-Blows

So my question is have any of you hunted with a crossbow? If so did you enjoy it? How accurate and powerful was it? Did it take down the deer in a humane fashion? Someone offered to loan me one during the bow season andsince I don't have a bow I was considering it. I just thought I would ask your opinions.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow or Cross-Blows

first off check your state laws. here in Florida you can only use a cross bow during general gun season unless you have a special permit. to get the permit you have to have a doctor sign a state form saying your disabled to the point that you can't pull back a regular bow. once the state form is signed, the state will issue you a permit allowing you to use a crossbow during archery season.

yes, crossbows are extremely accurate and powerful. they are more than capable at taking deer at distances that an average archer shoots. as long as you sight it in properly and make a good shot, it's as humane as any other hunting weapon.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Spike

Well first off thanks for the advice. They just recently made it lawful for anyone with a regular hunting liscence in AL to use a crossbow. Now I know in the past it was for handicapped people only....so does that make me a wimp for wanting to try it before I pick up a bow?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 AM
byg
Spike

Fisrt of all,I live in Ohio where it has been legal for a very long time.I have seen some very respectful deer taken w/ a CB.I have to say if it is legal and humane dont worry what people think.If it will get you out there..Who cares..I am sure you will here alot of opinions about them.All that matters is yours
Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

This will be my second season with a cb and I won't look back. They are very accurate as long as they are sighted in correctly (like any other weapon). I have yet to get a deer with it but my friend got one at 50yds and it dropped within 20 yds. Same amount of damage as a bow would do. So if it is legal to use, don't give a flying (censored) what other people think. There are people out there that think they should be banned alltogether.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like Vert Bows most People that shot Crossbows still use the same common sence that they keep thier shots under 30 yrds,even tho you can hit at 50 yrds so can you with Compounds.It all comes down to ethicaly taking a animal.Ive been a Comound shooter for 23 yrs and this will be my 1st year with a CB and I have been praticing the same as I did withmy compound and Recurve's.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

This will be my second year shooting a xbow. Haven't gotten anything with it yet. They are very accurate once you get them dialed in. Depending on which bow you go with depends on your distance of shots you can take. I am just shooting a PSE Copperhead which is 150lbs and will hum a bolt at around 260 - 270 depending on your setup from what I read about them. Have yet to get my setup chrono'ed. If you go with more powerful xbows you can get some further shots but I wouldn't go past 40 yards when taking an animal.

The power stroke on a Xbow is alot shorter than a compound bow. So the bolt will run out of steam pretty fast.Up to30 yards I can knock the nipples off a squirrel but pastthe 35with my xbow the bolt just starts to drop very rapid. Kinda has the bottle rocket effectof moving to a certain distance sputters out and *bang* thats all she had.

You will also see how loud they are in comparising to a compound bow which is another reason to not take such long shots with them. The sound of the xbow alerts the deer long before the bolt has gotten to them. (speed of sound is roughly 1,100 fps, VS some xbows shooting well into the 300's fps)

They are a blast to shoot though, just watch where you put your fingers especially your thumb when shooting. They can take skin, fingernail, and even your thumb off if your not careful.

Dave
Old 08-24-2007, 08:48 AM

This will be my second season. Last season I sighted it in driving arrows side by side in practice but missed two shots, one elevated from 16' ladder shot over its back and second from a ground blind. Didn't account for limb expansion and one side caught blind. So they are not fool proof. Still a lot of fun. Hope to break the ice this year.
Eric s Stacy AKA: DeerDope Wide World of Hunting
Old 08-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

I got my start in archery years ago with a crossbow. I was young and little, my grandpa was getting old, so we got a crossbow and we both used it. After a few yearsI started shooting a compound and liked it alot better. I haven't used a crossbow in probably 8 or 9 years now. But, I think they are great for some people, just not me. No, they are not like shooting a rifle, about the same speed and power as a bow. I never really understood whysome bowhunters areagainst crossbow users, I just don't think they offer any real advantage over a compound, so no reason forpeopleto be against them.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I've got hunting buddies that are boilermakers--busted up shoulders they had to go to a crossbow--They have killed alot of deer with theres-If my back gets any worse i may have too! But they all say if they could shoot a regular bow they would ---They miss the excitement of gettin the bow drawed back---The only way I can see its like a rifle is being able to have it cocked and ease it up for the shot!! Ain't knocking that but I too still like the rush of gettin drawed back!!

Camocop----ain't sure where you are in Fl but in northwest section we have a crossbow hunt--its the week after Thanksgiving!! EXCEPT ON PRIVATE LAND ONLY--like too forgot that!!

Quick Reply: Crossbow or Cross-Blows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.