Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can you scout too much?

Old 08-19-2007, 01:35 AM

Default RE: Can you scout too much?

I use my atv for most of the scouting, tire tracks dont leave scent on the ground..as far as scouting try to knock it out in a day or 2 then get out..
In the spring turkey season im scouting also for deer sign take notepad with you so you wont forget where trails are..cam corder works well too film an area for 2 miniutes or so and you can pick atree ffor stands while relaxing at home..plus films will last for years and can be passed down to your kids for future hunting.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of areas that I hunt (and therefore scout) are located within farming communities so I believe that the deer are very used to seeing humans. I believe that Goose Assasin stated it well whenhis post stated to move casually awayin a non-threatenning way. There has been times, over the years,when I walked into a deer and then moved away with out spooking it. They have run a short distance to where they feel safe and then stop to observe the situation. By not paying direct attention to the animal but simply moving on your way, I think that the animal will not see you as a preditor. I have scouted and hunted areas that have beenvery remote and I believe that some of the deer in these areas may have never seen a human before. I have not read any research in regard to these situations but it would be a logical assumption that if youmoved away in a non-threatenning manor then perhaps these deer may not associate your scent as the sent of a preditor.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here's an intersting read I came across the other day researching the same topic....

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=438
Old 08-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

As has been said you can scout one particular area to much,especially so if you are in bedding area's.As NYBowhunters article mentioned bumping a buck from their bedding area is not the end of the world.I believe that is the case as long as it is not done repeatedly.
You have to scout to become knowledgeable enough to hunt area's effectively.Finding bedding area's and food sources,funnels in between them ideally.A lot of the most successful hunters in the country do the majority of their scouting immediately after hunting seasons have closed.The woods look the same as they will during hunting season,rubs and scrapes are easy to identify as this years and the deer have several months to forget about you bumping them.
I try to scout all year long,finding new area's,getting to know old area's better.