Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to scout?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default how to scout?

how does everyone scout, how do u know where the deer bed and eat?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:06 PM

Default RE: how to scout?

It's a little late to be asking that question really. Scouting is a year round activity starting right after season ends and every single trip afield during the season is a scouting mission as well. I always start by looking at aerial photos and topo maps. Mark areas of interest, I look for feeding areas (corn and soybean fields in my neck of the woods) with any kind of funnel nearby - fence lines, shallow creek crossings, terrain features that alter travel routes amongst other things are all good. If you can find these things on a map, you can get out on foot and see what how the deer are using these features. With this knowledge you can formulate a "game plan" on how to best hunt the spot.

This is only the way I would do it - if I were to start scouting right now.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

start now. never too late.

what burbaust said was perfect. im still learning how to scout also, i beleive alot of it just comes from experience, just like hunting. i would doo exactly what he said.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

ok well i did everything that you said but the deer have changed they were comming out to a field every night. and now they stay in the swamp so i wasnt sure if there was some last min way to change.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:26 AM

ORIGINAL: sniper65

ok well i did everything that you said but the deer have changed they were comming out to a field every night. and now they stay in the swamp so i wasnt sure if there was some last min way to change.
Then there is a reason that they are staying in the swamp - you need to find that reason. Pre-rut is starting in a lot of places, that can change their patterns, are there any food sources near or in the swamp? - that could change their patterns as well. Things like that make the difference, the only way you'll find out is by being in the woods.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do all my scouting in the spring before the leaves come back. You can really see the deer sign when the trees are bare. Do some shed hunting in February too. You can find out where the bucks bed alot of times that way.

Spring turkey hunting is also a great way to scout. I found alot of old rubs this spring while turkey hunting.

Another thing I like to do is install tree steps and trim shooting lanes in the late winter / early spring before the leaves come back. Just trim your shooting lanes a little extra to account for the growth over the summer. This also lets the deer get used to the changes.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

ok thanks