Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Should i scout more?

Old 03-30-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Should i scout more?

I have went out the past three weekends and have seen four huge gobblers in the same place every morning. There is two weeks till season. should i still go check them out until season or should i just stay away. will their pattern change in that short time or not?
Old 03-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should i scout more?

I wouldn't suggest returning to the spot where you're seeing the turkeys. If you've already established that they are staying in the area you don't want to educate them. Just slip in there opening morning and set up. Sounds like you'll have turkeys all over you. Good luck!!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:32 PM

Sounds like you have that group patterned. I'd stay away.

I'd take some time trying to locate gobblers in other areas just incase those boys don't want to play opening day.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I would definitely scout more. Try and find out where they roost, and where they go after the field.

Pretty soon, unless all 4 of those big boys are satellite or beta males, you can bet they won't be together. Which means if the alpha/dominant male stakes that as his territory, you have now seen your gobbler "flock" reduced by 75% to 1 bird.

That 1 bird may, in 2 weeks, have an appreciable number of hens. Assuming from the manner of your questions that you are relatively new, I don't advise limiting your options to one henned up boss tom if ya' catch my drift...

If possible, get out there before daybreak next weekend and determine where they roost. Go back home, grab a bit of breakfast---maybe a nap---then head back out ~11 am. Determine any strut zones between the roost and the field, any terrain obstacles, and just do some general scouting of the area.

If your experience is quite limited then realize that if you learn nothing else this season, learn the whens, wheres, hows and whys to scouting. It will garner you more birds in the long run than any other aspect of turkey hunting...
Old 03-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always go out the night before to roost the hunting area I plan to go in the morning. I try to make sure no one is around before I do this. If other hunters in the area I just wait until the opening morning and go where I expect them to be. Hopefully when I'm set up the toms will be close enough I can move in on them. Of course, it all flys out the window opening morning since I hunt public ground and after about noon that day you have to kind of start all over.