Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Scout 50 cal

Old 07-26-2006, 05:52 PM

Default T/C Scout 50 cal

HI Folks

I have just received my used T/C 50 Scout. Can anyone tell me how deep should the ram rod (factory) without the Jag go down the barrel. Just a little worried I may have a flat nose slug down the barrel. My Ram Rod will leave ½" out without the screw on Jag. Is this correct are do I have a slug in there?????

Hope this in listed in the correct place.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag
Old 07-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Spike

Default RE: T/C Scout 50 cal

TAKE THE BARREL OFF .....THEN YOU CAN TAKE OUT THE NIPPLE.......THEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE LIGHT THROUGH THE BARREL WHEN YOU LOOK AT A LIGHT
Old 07-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

The Scout is a little difficult to judge due to the rather unique breech area and goofy nipple design. I had one and sold it due to the concern that I could never find another nipple. Sometimes I wish I had kept it as I liked the looks and it got my first muzzleloading Elk. There is a way to have the nipple machined to take a standard nipple if yours wears out and you can't find another one. I don't think T/C has them any more.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

RemingtonMagnum,
You "do not" need to remove the barrel on a T/C Scout to see if you can look through the nipple and see daylight.
All you need to do is cock the hammer back and look through your nipple hole. You will need to point the barrel into the light.
Do not be alarmed if you still can not see daylight. Your nipple could be dirty.Clean out the nipple hole and try again.
I cut my ramrod down in length, so when the cleaning jag is attached it is flush with the muzzle. When it's bottomed out in the barrel it's less than 3/8" above the muzzle.
Hope this helps you out.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Hi RM, You may or may not have a problem but because my Scout was handy I just checked it out for the sake of helping you. I think you may have something in the bore.

Question 1, Is your ramrod flush with the muzzle when stored under the barrel?

2, Does it actually stick out over 1/2"?

If you answered yes to both and can't see through the nipple down the barrel you have an obstruction that may be a dry balled round. A charged round would stick the rod out of the barrel at least an inch or more.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:18 PM

Thanks someone help me take it apart. It is clear but just had to be for sure. Second hand and looks great. Anyone know where you can pick up a spare nipple? Mine is fine but now is the time to start looking. Thanks a lot Don.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Many hunting stores still have them. You should be able to find one.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Spike

YOU CAN GET AHOLD OF TC.......THEY WILL SEND YOU A REPRINT OF THE OWNERS MANUAL........ALSO NIPPLES ARE AVAILABLE FROM FOX RIDGE OUTFITTERS...PHONE.....1-800-243-4570........www.foxridgeoutfitters.com..hope this helps.....