Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Removal of bladder

Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Spike

Default Removal of bladder

The only problem I ever have when gutting a deer is the removal of the bladder which lies under the pelvis bone. I have tried many ways to keep the urine from coming out of the bladder,but with limited success due to the location of the bladder.Probably the best success I've had is to saw through the pelvis bone with my Buck Alpha serrated blade andget to the bladder by pushing down on the inner thighs and"splitting" the rear legs apart. Any suggestions in removal of the bladder would be welcome.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 PM

Default RE: Removal of bladder

Poke a small hole in it, drain into cup. Put in bottle and put in frigerator or on ice. Use on scrapes etc. I just split the tail pelvis with my large bowie knife. Rinse out carcus.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

point hole at nearest hunting partner and squeeze.... works good.... lol my dad did this once without thinking and it shot pee over his shoulder I about died laughing.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

as stated above splitting the pelvic bone is about the easiest way to go. i find it easier to roll the deer onto it's side after the pelvis is split... if you make the split wide enough you should be able to remove everything in one neat pull.... and yes save that pee... even code blue... standing doe in heat.... ect..ect...ect cant match it.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Before i do anything i tie off the ends, that way no leaks. Keep some string with you. Rich
Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 AM

Good coverscent ... But, doe pee will only be good if she is in season.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

cut around the a-hole. insert knife keeping it along the bone, cut around the pelvis while pulling back on the a-hole,when all is cut it will come out with the guts.
i like using a pocket knife for this.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: buck-i

cut around the a-hole. insert knife keeping it along the bone, cut around the pelvis while pulling back on the a-hole,when all is cut it will come out with the guts.
i like using a pocket knife for this.
This is what I do also. Although urine is sterile and won't technically hurt anything... I still don't like to spill it especially if there is cut meat back there. If by chance I do spill some, I will rinse generously and if it gets into a piece of meat that is cut, I will cut a section out around it just so I don't have to chance tasting it...