Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

game camera + public land

Old 08-08-2007, 02:43 PM

Default game camera + public land

prety obvious as to what my question is, do you guys use game cameras on public land. i did once, i jus camoed it pretty well and then put a lock on it, but im not suire. im going to do it again, but i was jus wandering who else does, doesnt do this? thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Default RE: game camera + public land

Well, as you already know it's risky business. Only suggestion I would have is try to monitor the other people you see using the public areas and try to pick your spot according to where they are not. I hunted public land for several years. And still have a spot that I go sometimes, when the time is right, and I have found that alot of public land hunters, due to restrictions of ATVs and limited access roads, Don't venture more than a 1/2to 1mile from the parking area, Get creative and get way back in there where no one else goes. Public hunting is tough, but can be good if you put in the extrawork. Also, by getting so far away you really lower the risk of some jacka$$ stealing your camera. (or treestand, which happend to me twice)

Good Luck.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

Had some A-Hole use a chainsaw to fell 3 50ft poplars to steal my treestands once.Harold
Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

I was squrril hunting once and seen a trail cam that someone blew a hole in with a gun it was one of the 500$ varity to
Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 PM

I'll finish your equation with = stolen
Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Fork Horn

I would say chain it. I've still seen people in the woods before with boltcutters. You can imgaine what their doing.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

A localchainstore called Menards had the 35mm stealth cam for $19.00. I bought 5 of them and I use them for my public land scouting while I use my digital cams for the private land. I but a very simple lock on the stealth cams and so for still have all five. I am not sorried if they do get stolen I am only out $20 and film. Worth it to me so I never really care if they would get stolen. I do put them in pretty far in the woods though.

~Jeff
Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM
OGW

Regrettfully if they want it...it's history!
I too have seen people going into the woods with BoltCutters....followed them in right to my treestand and made some noise just before they got to it. They kept walking...but I know I would have lost it if I did not decide to get it out of there,right then, that day.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: OGW

Regrettfully if they want it...it's history!
I too have seen people going into the woods with BoltCutters....followed them in right to my treestand and made some noise just before they got to it. They kept walking...but I know I would have lost it if I did not decide to get it out of there,right then, that day.
I would have followed them all the way to it and when the reached down to cut the chain i'd racked a shell where they could hear
Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

game camera + public land = bad

Quick Reply: game camera + public land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.