Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scary hunting stories

Old 08-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: scary hunting stories

Many years agoI went to an afternoon stand in a swamp through knee deep ferns.After getting settled in my tree, I kept hearing rustling in the leaves where I had walked in. Finally catching movement, I discerned three separate pairs of the largest copperheads I had ever seen! Each pair was intertwined with half of their bodies raised up in the air facing each other swaying backand forth in the ferns. I had walked right through a breeding frenzy! Chill bumps ensued and I thought about having to walk out of there after dark. Needless to say, when that time came,I was light on my feet leaving there.Back at the clubhouse, one 87 year old hunter said that he had only seen that once in his life. I had witnessed a rarely seen event.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my dad almost got shot square in the back one time at point blank range. We were rabbit hunting with my uncle and his beagles. As we were making our way along we noticed one of his beagles run up to another group of hunters. One of the guys in the group proceeded to kick the dog. Of course our group went over and had some pretty good words with them. As my dad turns to walk away all we hear is *BLAM*!!! Turns out one of the guys raised his shotgun and was just about to shoot my dad square in the back at 5 yards when his buddy slapped the gun down. The shot hit the ground a few inches to the right of my dad's feet. Once that happens everyone thinks they know what they'll do but believe me all that's going through your mind is lets get the hell outta here while they're all arguing.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 PM

The worst part about wrestling in high school was that it happened to be during deer season and we always had a meet or scrimmage on the only Saturday of Ohio's shotgun season (back in the 90's Ohio had only a 1 weeks season that ran Monday to Saturday).

My senior year, we had a scrimmage on that particular Saturday that started at 7am and ran until 1, so basically a 6 hour straight wrestling practice with only water breaks. I was also cutting weight at that time from my football wt of 195 to my wrestling wt of 171, so I had pretty low energy level to begin with.

I got home from the scrimmage as my dad was about to head out for the afternoon (we hunted the woods right behind our house) and I decided I would gear-up quick and head out to my spot. It was about 30 degrees out, pouring down freezing rain/hail/sleet/cats and dogs with about a 20 MPH wind. Like an idiot, and like I usually tend to do, I had under-dressed and I was freezing. My hair hadn't even completely dried from my shower and my whole head felt frozen. I decided to tuck into a tight ball and duck down behind a fallen tree to try to hide from the wind. Needless to say, I fell asleep.

About a half hour after this, my dad decides that it's not worth it to him to sit out in this crap when it seems like the deer aren't even moving, so he heads over to tell me he was heading in. About 20 yards from me, he realizes not only am I sound asleep, I'm also snoring. He contemplates rattling a round off into a tree to scare the hell out of me, but decides to look around instead.

While he's looking around, he spots something move about 20 yards in front of me, it's a big fat doe staring right at me trying to figure out what the hell I am and what kind of noise I'm making. Dad tries to wake me up by saying my name as soft as he can, but it's useless I'm out cold. Being that we usually only got 1 deer a year between the 2 of us (possibly due to me sleeping 75% of the time on stand) and that we didn't have one yet that year, dad decides to take the shot.

I'm deep in lala land somewhere on a beach in Cancun with Jenny McCarthy sipping margaritas when all of the sudden I hear a gun blast from 20 yards away, I wake up realizing there's a gun on my lap and immediately try to figure out who the hell is shooting at me, meanwhile my dad's laughing his ass off.

Needless to say, he brings that story up every year around deer season. [&o]

2 years ago he shot his biggest buck ever, an 11 pt, and I got to call him 2 weeks later and tell him about my 13 pt, so I'd say it's even now
Old 08-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

One of the scariest things ever is whenever your getting you paper at 4:00 in the morning before heading to the camp, and a screech owl about 25 yrds away hoots.

I was hunting on my friends, grandfathers lease in South Louisiana(SOUTH, SOUTH, SOUTH Louisiana), in a ladder stand on opening day of the early MZ season. It was hot and the deer werent moving. I started eating an apple and I guess it smelled it. A bear came out of the woods, he mustve been at least 300 lbs. I'd seen tracks before, but never actually seen a big black bear. He was very interested in my apple. He slightly attempted to climb the stand. He was close enough where I was actually about to cock my gun and shoot him(self defense). Something in the woods spooked him and he took off.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a stand in SC on an old tea/rice plantation (now a paper company holding), that was located right along an old dyke, by the old homeplace.

For whatever reason, this stand (ladder stand) would occasionally start shaking violently, almost as if someone was climbing up the ladder. I used to think it was high winds I couldn't hear or see moving the top of the tree... but it was totally still. The ground is fairly moist, and Charleston does sit on a fault line... tremors maybe... I don't know.

I always told guests I brought there that the stand was haunted... and they always came back to the truck white as a sheet!

I honestly just think it was because I had the stand strapped in VERY tight. My very small movements or who knows what might have caused reverbreations in the metal of the stand, sort of like a drum. Freaked me out bad at first, but I shot a heck of a lot of deer out of that stand!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The worst I've ever been scared was when I was walking to my Deer Stand at 4:30 AM in the total darkness and when I reached my stand to climb upin it about 12 Turkeys flew off their roost and the sound and racket 'bout gave me a heart attack. [:@]

Last year I was climbing down from my climbing stand and I kept hearing something walking in the dry leaves as I was slowly descending I kept trying to pin-point where and what was making the noise?When I reached the bottom of the tree I pulled out my LED light and shined it around....then there it is..... a Big black & white skunk roaming around in the leaves so I back out slowly to the logging road and run up the hill away from Mr. Stinky.

In the late evenings when I'm Bow Hunting the Coyotes start to howl around our Farm so I have been carrying my rabbit call along with me and tried to call them in closer....it gets kinda scary when it starts getting pretty dark and I have to walk back by myself and I'm wondering just how close are they when I have to climb down and head back home when it is too dark to shoot at the deer but the Coyotes arejust starting to be on the prowl....!!!! ZOINKS
Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 PM

I was sitting on a lawn chair hog hunting. An owl swooped down from the row of trees in back of me and bumped my head. All I heard was a slight flutter of the wings just before it hit me! Needless to say it scared the !@#$%^&* out of me!! LOL
Old 08-09-2007, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

I was hunting my stand in South Louisiana and the mosquitos were horrible. I was rubbing my face to keep them off when all of a sudden a hawk appears with his talons coming right toward my face at about 3 feet. The hawk immediately realized that I was not the squirell or bird that he thought and was flapping his wings like crazy to try and get out of there. I almost fell out of the tree trying to avoid the hawk that scared the crap out of me. I think about it now and smile, but at the time it was not funny at all.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 PM

every time i walk in the woods during gun season.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 PM

This happened on a very cold January day.The night before we had loaded up on lasagne and beer. So that next morning my stomach started rumbling and I swear if I had one more layer of clothes on IT WOULD HAVE REAL SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: scary hunting stories

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.