Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scary hunting stories

Old 08-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: scary hunting stories

One fall afternoon I was sittingon the crest of a ridge squirrel hunting just enjoying the calmness of the woods, when what sounds like a flame thrower appears to be coming straight through the woods at me. This sound caused a flock of turkeys to come flying straight towards me. Then a fewdeerand squirrels gorunning by me. Thenevery bird in the forest goes flying by. Iwasn't sure if I was supposed tojoinall of theseanimals in this mass exodus or not so I just sat there as the sound comescloser andcloser.I was really thinking that somethingterrible could be coming through the woodswhenall of a sudden a hot air balloon comes overhead and decends into thevalley bellow. It is funny to think about now but at the time it scared thecrap out of me.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing too scary but as I was walking a fire lane in Southern Illinois a few years ago I kicked up a covey of quail. Right at the base of a bush trail side. Middle of the day, I just had to stop and take a few deep breaths.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Walking to my stand in pitch black darkness and all is dead queit. Just as I started to climb the tree a flock of Partridges flew off a few feet away, I fell on my ass and lamost had a heart attack!
Old 08-04-2007, 06:46 PM

Well I have one from last year, this being the most prominent in my memory. I was out checking some trapsafter work, probably about 11pm. nice and dark. i got about 150 yards into the woods with me and my buddy. we had out nightlites but had them off just walking by what moonlight we had. i took a step and heard something that sounded like a cross between a elk/coyote/human making a really really loud yawning type noise. and it sounded like under 15 yards from us but we where under abunch of tree cover and could barely see our trail. needless to say thats the fastest i think i've ever drew a peace in my life. we had lights all over the place and yet we never saw anything. after about 20 seconds we heard something running over the crest of the hill but i still don't know what it was. i just hope we scared it as much as it did us. i'm quite familiar with the animals here and don't mind trapsing around in the dark appalachians at night but i don't know what it was and kept my handgun in one hand the rest of the night.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was 12, I sat my stand by myself for the first time. I was about 7/8 of a mile into the woods... pretty long walk. Anyway, it was just past legal hunting time... pitch black. I was climbing down my stand; when I got to the second step, I heard a hideous bloodcurdling bobcat scream about 50-75 yards away... I almost fell out of my stand. I thougt, "I'll just sit here in the stand a bit longer" . I sat for about 10 minutes longer, when I heard it again; this time MUCH closer. I figured then it was time to skedaddle! Needless to say, being 12 years old I hauled ass! I heard it again this time very faint because I was a good bit aways from my stand. I didn't stop until I got to my camper.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was 12 (again), I climbed into my stand. It was the first day of the season and already hot. I could hearowls wayoff hooting to each other, just like they do every time a go hunting. The sun came up and began to beat down on me, and I drifted off. I don't know for how long, when a hoot owl stealthily landed on a limb behind me and let out screech. Thats the highest any of yall would see a white boy jump
Old 08-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

A friend and I were bowhunting one year and we both
had gone to our stands.We were hunting in the mountains
of Virginia where there are a lot of black bears here where
we live.So after it was time to come off the deer stand I
went down off the mountain down by the creek where the
old trail we walked in and waited for my friend to come on
out.It had gotten dark by then and I could see his flashlight
coming out of the mountain till he hit the trail and started
walking down it.For some reason I thought it would be fun to
scare him.I got behind a large oak tree and put my bow down.
Walking down the path about the time he got to my tree he
had no idea I was there I let him get about 10 feet past it and
I screamed out as loud as I could sounding out like a Black bear
and took off running towards him and scared him so bad the
flashlight went up and down about 5 or 6 times and he dropped
to his knees it scared him so bad.Never laughed so hard in my
life before.He threatened to get me back for a week for that but
even he thought it was funny after he thought about it.Even
today I stiil chuckle about that time as such good memories always
last.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Lets see I was climbing down from my stand, fell 20ft and broke my back. Thats one of the worst feelings in the world. The other was having a turkey fly straight into my blind with me. I saw her and called and next thing I know here she come wings a flappin and smacks me in the head and lands in my blind. She didnt know what happened and she just walks out from the blind and starts yelping. I killed her friendTom 5 minutes later...
Old 08-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Fork Horn

It was about 13 years ago I wasbow hunting with a buddy we were walking out of the woods after dark ,stopped for a second and happened to hear somthing walking about 40 yards behind us.startedwalked alot faster stopped again and it was still following us. second time is a charm,right. my buddy is kind of fat and to this day i still have not seen a fat guy move like that. never found out what it was but we wont sticking around to find out
Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

My brother and I were walking out of the woods one night when all of a sudden it sounded like the sky was fallen we spooked a big flock of turkeys off the roost. My brother was only about 11 years old then and he let out a scream like a little girl.

Quick Reply: scary hunting stories

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.