Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Property questions

Old 08-02-2007, 02:20 AM
Spike

Default New Property questions

I just started hunting last year got a little doe for my first one. I have several questions. First I have some land that I have access to for the first time this year. It is managed and only bucks can be taken. I was told that was b/c the manager believes where the does are are where the bucks go. Is this true or is this guy just wishing? Second the land doesn't have any green fields or food plots. If I were to want to put out some type of plot can I or is it too late? If I can what can I put out? I live in mid alabama so climate may play a role I am not sure. I would appreciate any help you can offer me.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Property questions

Where bouts in Bama do you hunt? Most of the mid Bama land is over populated with deer and the worst thing you can do to your property is to not harvest does. If he is set in his ideas it will be hard to change his mind, but he is wrong. A membership in the Quality Deer Management Association would be of help. www.qdma.com
I would plan on planting a fall plot, probably about the 3rd week in September. Buck Forage Oats is what I have had great luck with for several years in mid Bama. Pick out your plot area and soil test immediately, followed by lime application to meet your soils needs
Old 08-02-2007, 09:42 AM

He is at least right that where the does are come the rut, bucks are sure to be.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replys. I am going to try to follow your advice. I have been looking into planting a few green feilds. I researched it and found that I should only plant a few so that the deer will concentrate in these areas. I want to plant multi crops. Anyone got a blended brand they can recommend?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Spike

Oh and the land is in the Prattville-Selma area.