Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent control

Old 08-01-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Scent control

Just curious whether or not you guys beleive that charcoal activated Scent-Lok and other scent eliminating clothing brands actually work?

Also, what do you guys do as far as scent control goes? I mean obviously playing the wind is the most important factor, but what products and techniques do you use?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 PM

Default RE: Scent control

This question/topic asked/posted at least one time a month. If you do a search you will likely find enough threads and opinions to write "War and Peace" edition 2, 3 and 4.
The stuff does not work, don't waste your money on it.
Wash your clothes and self in scent eliminating detergent, use scent eliminating sprays, store clothing in sealable containers and dress in the field.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

This question/topic asked/posted at least one time a month. If you do a search you will likely find enough threads and opinions to write "War and Peace" edition 2, 3 and 4.
Wash your clothes and self in scent eliminating detergent, use scent eliminating sprays, store clothing in sealable containers and dress in the field.
By no means am I vouching for Scent-Lokclothing, nor have I ever owned Scent-Lok clothing, but their products make sense to me. I don't know if you realize that charcoal is indeed a natural filter. You can find charcoal in many types of filters, so why would it not work in filtering human scent? Also, what makes you think your detergents, sprays, and containers are effective? And dressing in the field? Please! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, you'd waste 30 minutes ofvaluable precious timeand you'd make a **** load of noise. The only thing I can understand is putting your boots on in the field.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, so please don't try and retaliate in an unprofessional manner. I'm simply trying to get to the bottom of people's scent control opinions and techniques.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Predator26

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

By no means am I vouching for Scent-Lokclothing, nor have I ever owned Scent-Lok clothing, but their products make sense to me. I don't know if you realize that charcoal is indeed a natural filter. You can find charcoal in many types of filters, so why would it not work in filtering human scent? Also, what makes you think your detergents, sprays, and containers are effective? And dressing in the field? Please! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, you'd waste 30 minutes ofvaluable precious timeand you'd make a **** load of noise. The only thing I can understand is putting your boots on in the field.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, so please don't try and retaliate in an unprofessional manner. I'm simply trying to get to the bottom of people's scent control opinions and techniques.
Fairquestions. I will preface my response by saying I own and have used scent eliminating clothing and have not noticed any benefit. There has been research posted here, that shows that the claims of carbon scent eliminating clothing regarding recharging/getting rid of built up scent is just not plausible. A piece of needing temps two to three times that a household dryer maxs out at in order to loosen scent fromt he carbon particules.
Last time I was in a store like Cabelas, gander, etc..the clothing is hanging on racks being exposed to many scents and not sealed up, so you buy it already full of scent and can't get rid of the built up scent?
As far as sprays, there is research that they do help to eliminate/reduce scent, so I use and believe that they work.
As far as dressing in the field, many do and many don't. When I say dress in the field, I do not mean on stand or in your hunting area, but by your vehicle, away from where you will actually be hunting. I wear my socks, under garments and first layer of clothing under a set of coveralls while I drive out to my hunting area and put on my outer layers once out in area. I also wear rubber boots and spray down with scent killer, especially my hunting weapon, gear and bottom of boots before heading out.
Hopefully this explaination helps.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt the wind, its your best bet, and a lot cheaper.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

No they dont work. They are a gimmick and a complete waste of money. Hunt the wind and use proven methods of killing scent, such as Scent Killer spray or brands like it.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Hunt the wind, its your best bet, and a lot cheaper.
Good point, but where I hunt the wind seriously can swirl around [:@]I try to place my stand at least 15 feet up hoping my scent won't reach the deer. I also use scentblocker spray, but I stay away from the clothes.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The other guys are right, dont waste your money.

These guystook this idea from the engineering / contamination cleanup industry. Carbon in the charcoal neutralizes strong chemicals that smell such as hydorcarbons in petroleum when filtered. It breaks down the chemical bond in the compounds. Not enough research exist while using carbon blocker clothes to neutralize human bodyodor, IMHO.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:27 PM

Alright cool. I'm glad we didn't end up in a fight lion.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, scent lock works. My dad uses it, my cousin uses it, my sisters boyfriend uses it, and, most of my buddy's use it.

I don't use it, because right now, buying high dollar camo isn't priority. I use just use the Hunter's Specialties Scent Killer. I also use Hunters Specialties deordorant, as well as their shampoo and detergent. This works very well, as I have only been busted one time many years ago.

Quick Reply: Scent control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.