Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dogs running deer

Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dogs running deer

ORIGINAL: BKE

And folks...keep this topic decent or it will find its way to never never land.......there is more than enough on this subject in the archives, or if one just does a search. If it has not been deleted cause it got out of hand. Not trying to be a hard butt, just do not need to give Anti's any fuel for their fire here at HNI. Please keep that in mind when posting.
Thanks folks

You tried your best Christine B. Hey Lonewolf, I missed the part of your post where you mentioned folks hunting deer with dogs??
[/quote]

What was that?! A little junior mod or something?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks folks so far for keeping this topic clean....it is very much appreciated. I've only had to remove two posts on 5 pages so far. In addition, the original question had nothing to do with legally hunting deer with dogs for those that did not read it. If it is legal in your state and that is what you do... fine. It is however illegal in most states, just a thought. Gotta have a thick skin to wade into threads such as this one, don't take it personal.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I sure hope it doesn't bother that Bee Gees guy too terribly - he seems kinda timid.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lonewolf316

What do u do about a situation like this. dogs are always ruining my hunting. they have raided our camp while hunting in illinois too. what is there to do with out making the owners mad? Any one else have this problem?
I never really answered the question.

Call the animal control, wardens, police, and let them handle. If after exhausting all legal methods of having some form of lawdeal with the problem and speaking with any known owners you have nothing resolved, you probably didn't try very hard. Just kidding. I don't know what to tell a personin that situationbecause the law has always been helpful here,but onlyafterrepeated prodding.

The legality of dog hunting in your state and whether or not you approve of it are really non-isssues here. If you shoot a dog that is on your property (whether it is a hunting dog or a yorky)in nearly every state you are breaking the law, some states have regulations pertaining to livestock and nuisance animals (nuisance animalsare usually dispatched by local authorities).

Why people shoot dogs is probably an interesting question. If a couple of cocker spaniels orpoodles run across your property most probably wouldn't shoot them,because they are no real threat to"your" deer. I bet if you asked all the non-hunting people you know what they would do if some dogs ran across their property most would not say shoot them,but some ofus hunters, we're different, we can't have these dogs running"our" deer off so we "get rid of them".

So basically yourkilling dogs so you can later kill"your" deer, does that about sum it up? Doesn't sound good when you say it like that, does it? Quick somebodyrationalize it and explain why it'sOK to break the law if it benefits your hunting.

Whatever's clever I guess.Just my opinion above, nothing personal. Good luck with the dogs lonewolf316.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Once again folks im talking about beagles or other breeds of dogs that ruin our hunting, and I didnt say anything about them chasing fawns either. It is the owners fault and I cant really blame the dogs at all .I only wanted to get ideas to take care of this problem and not affend the neighbors. So keep the replys on topic like uncle mike said .
Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 PM

Also folks remember I didnt say anything about shooting the dogs even though I thought about it. I asked for a remedy so I wouldnt offend the neighbors.NOW im QUITE SURE THAT WOULD OFFEND THEM AND WE WOULD LOSE OUR HUNTING PRIVLEGES .
Old 07-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Lonewolf, I had success talking to my neighbors about their dogs. It did take me several visits, phone calls and my ability to keep my cool as their initial reaction was to do nothing. But now all I need to do is call them and let them know when I will be hunting and they keep their dogs penned ( for the entire deer season.) Being persistant and having a good attitude worked in that instance and I have had no problem with their 6 dogs in a few years.

I think what did the trick was when I explained that I would not shoot their dogs but my concern was that someone would. Sure enough they had two of their dogs shot ironically by some idiot that was poaching on my acreage. I was at work that day and got a call from the neighbor that evening. He ran the poacher off, took his dogs to the vet....they lost one and saved the other dog. I hated thats what it took for them to finally see what I was trying to tell them all along.

Good Luck and I hope that you can find a solution that is beneficial.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Spike

I have had the same problemes with dogs around my place i have caught them running deer sheep cattle when we caught them doing it they get shot most of us around here have a rule if i see them running i will call or stop at the owners and let them know. my dog i dont pen up much he has free run of the place but he never leaves the yard he did twice but i stopped him of that we also have a poblem with wild dogs once and a while you should make sure its actually your neighbors dogs that are the ones causing the problems and not a dog that looks simmler if it is a wild dog i would just shoot it
Old 07-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes you just have to use plain common sense instead of playing the macho "my land, my rules" game. My land is surrounded on three sides by a neighbor who let's me have the run of his 140 acres of prime hunting land. Ditto for the next neighbor over from him. The guy who owns 200 acres just south of me has also been a good neighbor who has helped me out with work on my land. If you think that I would endanger any one of those relationships by shooting one of their dogs for running after a deer on my land (and no they aint gonna catch it or spoil the entire days hunt, get real) then you are smoking the same potent stuff as Steve who evidentally thinks that shooting a deer point blank from a stand is more challenging than a running shot on a deer running in front of dogs. Think it thru guys, think it thru.