Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dogs running deer

Old 07-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dogs running deer

Same thing happened to me! I was pissed to say the least. Not to mention the dogs were beagles and stayed on the scent trail of the deer and ran them to death literally! One of those little things chased a nice 8 point onto a main road and the deer got nailed! That was the last straw for me, so I called my local police department and they notified the SPCA and they set traps for the dogs and removed them from my property. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The initial quote that started this thread wasn't even talking about hunting dogs. But it's funny to see the responses. From subtle hints from posters that they would do what needed to be done to protect the fawns from the dogsto people saying they would outrightkill the dogs to people then jumping to hunting with dogsand how bad that is.

Whatever, it's the same oldstory,the same crowd saying hunting with dogs is unethical and non sporting are the same crowd saying they would kill dogs running deer on their property (which in the majority of states is illegal/felony, but hey it's ok to set your ethics to the side for a little while and break the lawif those pesky dogs are around ecspecially since you don't agree with the law protecting the dog anyway). If you have problems with dogs let the local authorities deal with it, that's what they are for.

Most people commenting on this aren't aware of the laws protecting thedogs(whether stray dogs or hunting dogs) and in addition to state animal crueltylaws, states that allow hunting with dogs alsohave hunting regs/laws governing the retrieval of hounds from private property and lawsprotecting the dogs on said private property. I don't know about strays but around my area it would be extremely unwise to tamper with or harm someoneshunting dogs and there would definitely be some fallout (legally) if it was proven.

We may not like all laws but that doesn't mean you can pick and choose the onesyou want to obey (even though that seems to be a pretty popular thing).
Old 07-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

states that allow hunting with dogs alsohave hunting regs/laws governing the retrieval of hounds from private property and lawsprotecting the dogs on said private property.
So, you have laws that actually authorize you to trespass on private property to retrieve dogs that aren't supposed to be there? Fine... But, my son and I spend thousands of dollars on deer hunting each year, for lease costs, equipment, travel, etc., and we're only able to get into the woods for about three weekends a year. It seems to me only fair that if your dogs get onto my land, and ruin my hunt, that I should be able to sue you for damages, for the cost of the hunt your dogs destroyed, for loss of enjoyment, for punitive damages because of your gross negligence or willful misconductin allowing your dogs on to run property where you don't have permission to be, etc., etc., etc. Might be cheaper for you just to buy a new dog.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mdbowhunter16

Same thing happened to me! I was pissed to say the least. Not to mention the dogs were beagles and stayed on the scent trail of the deer and ran them to death literally! One of those little things chased a nice 8 point onto a main road and the deer got nailed! That was the last straw for me, so I called my local police department and they notified the SPCA and they set traps for the dogs and removed them from my property. Good luck!
Good post. Let the authorities deal with it.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

states that allow hunting with dogs alsohave hunting regs/laws governing the retrieval of hounds from private property and lawsprotecting the dogs on said private property.
So, you have laws that actually authorize you to trespass on private property to retrieve dogs that aren't supposed to be there? Fine... But, my son and I spend thousands of dollars on deer hunting each year, for lease costs, equipment, travel, etc., and we're only able to get into the woods for about three weekends a year. It seems to me only fair that if your dogs get onto my land, and ruin my hunt, that I should be able to sue you for damages, for the cost of the hunt your dogs destroyed, for loss of enjoyment, for punitive damages because of your gross negligence or willful misconductin allowing your dogs on to run property where you don't have permission to be, etc., etc., etc. Might be cheaper for you just to buy a new dog.
Sounds like a frivelous(sp?) lawsuit but to answer your question: Yes VA does have hunting regs which allow an unarmed (a person without a weapon not an amputee)person to walk onto private property to retrieve their animal. From the VDGIF website for 2007-08:
Hunting With Dogs
[ul][*]Dogs may be used to pursue wild birds and animals during hunting seasons where not prohibited.[*]When the chase begins on other lands, fox hunters and coon hunters may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or archery tackle on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person who goes on prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs and who willfully refuses to identify himself when requested by the landowner or his agent to do so is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.[*]Unlawful to use dogs when hunting any species with archery tackle during any archery season. [/ul]

And trust me I am speaking from both sides of this thing. I occasionally hunt with dogs on one of the bigger leases my club has(3000+ acres) and we have a good group of guys, hunt safe and control our dogs, but at the same time my father and I own a small farm (100 acres) in another area and we have had trouble in the past with people bringing vehicles on our property, shooting deer over our property line, and running deer outside of the legal gun season during bow and blackpowder and messing up some hunts. It took about 2 seasons to nip a lot of these problems in the bud (with the assistance of the local game wardens). They started hitting these guys in the pocket with tickets and finesand we started spending a lot more time posting and "babysitting" the property until it changed for the better. I won't say it is perfect but it is much improved and we now know club presidents and they seem to want to help and avoid having to deal with the law.

Just so you know that I understand where you are coming from and yes it is very frustrating but that is what we did in that situation and I believe it was the right way to handle it.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a frivelous(sp?) lawsuit.
Why do you think it would be frivolous? I get three weekends a season in the woods. If I'm lucky, I might see one decent buck. If your dogs ruin my hunt, you don't think I've suffered any damages? I shouldn't be compensated for your failure to control your animals? What if the circus comes to town and the handlers negligently lose control of their elephants which stampede, destroying cars and houses? Should the circus not be liable for those damages?

Just so you know that I understand where you are coming from and yes it is very frustrating but that is what we did in that situation and I believe it was the right way to handle it.
Maybe you didn't quote all of the statute, but, from what you've cited, it doesn't appear that the dog hunters get ticketed if their dogs get on "prohibited lands." They just get a free pass to goget them...
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I f you guys knew anything about deer-dog hunting then you would know that they don't run fawns! Fawns don't produceenough scent for dogs to smell. I have NEVER seen or heard of any deer dogs catching a fawn. It just doesn't happen, the glandular secretions is what hunting dogs 'smell'. The fawns are too young to produce this. get educated before you start bashing deer-dog hunting, and don't judge deer-dog hunters by one bad example, as it sounds like the case here.

Now that I have that out of my system, I too hate being ruined by dogs, but it is part of being in a primary deer-dog hunting club. It only ruins yourconfidence, i havekilled several bucks a couple minutes after the dogs run through a block. I have seen deer feeding just squat down when they hear the dogs coming.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

You don't have to know anything about dog hunting in order to have an opinion about whether you'd appreciate having a bunch of dogs running through your private property, and their owners trespassing to get them (and protected by statute!) during deer season.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was replying to the comment on the first page about dogs catching fawns. I did not even read the rest of the comments, as i hear this argument frequently.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Unfortunately it is legal to run deer dogs in eastern NC...We have 3 different farms that have been in the family for over 30 years and the local dog hunters think nothing of dropping their dogs beside the road to run deer off our farm onto a farm that they have permission to hunt...

I have looked into this and it is a felony in NC to shoot a deer dog...When we call the game warden, he might be 2-3 counties away...Like on the movie "Top Gun"...The action is over before he can get to the area, and the dog hunters have their CB radios to warn everyone else...Its a problem, but I feel that these guys are digging a hole for themselves...I predict that within 20-30 years the tradition of dog hunting for deer will be a thing of the past...
That there is just BS! Can't they be charged for trespassing or something if you atleast video the dogs on your property?

Felony to shoot them? Then you certainly don't want to do that! A felony is a real heap of trouble in most states.

Boy I would sure hate to see those dogs eat anything that might hurt them when theyare running on your property. That would be terrible wouldn't it?

Quick Reply: Dogs running deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.