Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

FeedPlot

Old 07-14-2007, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default FeedPlot

Howdy,

I've got a new place to bowhunt and have an opportunity to put a feed plot on the property but I'm looking for some advice on what sort of seed to use. This property has about 100 acres of corn directly to my west, small scrub woods/timber to the north and south and a 1 acre pond right next to the center of the corn field..........tought to desribe without a map.

Anyways, I'd like to plant a plot of about 1/4-1/2 acre right below the pond which is a weeded area but open to plenty of sunlight. This would be directly up against the fencerow to the cornfield where I have observed deer travelling in the header rows.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?

I'm new to the whole foodplot deal,

Thanks,
Old 07-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FeedPlot

I hear that deer are crazy about white clover, so that would be a good idea, since you'll be competing with a corn field. There was an article in Deer & Deer Hunting magazine about why deer eat what they eat. They said white clover is very good, don't recall much being said about redclover, though.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you can hunt on or near the corn I would offer the farmer some money to leave 3 or 4 rows of the corn standing.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 PM

you should try antlerkings mini-max it grows with little tilling I just spray roundup wait for the weeds to die and wrack it and plant mini-max the deer hammer this seed and they get alot bigger and fater
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Fork Horn

I would try to hunt next the corn this year, might be kinda hard to compete with the corn.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try some white clover and if you can find a dealer in your area, deer absolutely love sugar beets, they will tear the ground up just to get to them.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around here, deer really like Chicory, they dig it up as well as attacking white clover.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to suggest BEFORE you waste any clearing efforts and your hard earned money, get a PH Test! You can't go in ANY direction until you know IF your soil can grow the seeds you want. Once the PH is known it's then simply up to you to apply the proper amount of lime and/or fertilizer to allow the ground to release it's nutrients and not bind it.

That being said, for a Fall plot I would suggest something like a Oats/Wheat/Brassica blend. These seeds are super easy to plant/broadcast and feature explosive growth so you'll have a successful plot in record time.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:37 PM

on my property I have hunters every were what should i plant todraw the deer away from there feeders.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good spot -

The "Worst food in the Best spot" will always be better than "The best food in the worst spot"

With a 1/4-1/2 acre plot - you'll know if the spot is good because it'll be browsed to the ground.

I'd suggest something that can either handle heavy browsing (clover, alfalfa) or a Cereal Grain plot - like rye, winter wheat or Winter oats - that gets to be about 4-6" tall - right when you want to hunt.(allow 4-6 weeks after planting).

FH