Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

243. For Whitetails

Old 12-24-2002, 03:15 PM

Default 243. For Whitetails

Hey all,
I got a question for yall.
I was wondering if a 243. is a good gun for Deer Hunting?
If so can you take Shoulder Shots with this gun and have a clen KILL.
Please help me out yall thanks
Old 12-24-2002, 04:07 PM

Default RE: 243. For Whitetails

Nothing like a hornet's nest on the "Night before Christmas" but good question! So to answer, yes and no.

Yes - the 243 is a good deer gun for the few that can:
1.) Shoot well
2.) Pick their spot and hit it
3.) Understand it's limitations and control themselves when things aren't perfect, angle, movement, range... etc
4.) for smaller deer

and then..

No - in my humble opinion, it is not an ample cartridge for shoulder shooting deer even with a "heavier" partition bullets.

So, I know thousands of deer have been killed by this caliber and it's cousin, the 6mm rem, but I have also helped track down too many deer - most outside my hunting party but to be honest, a couple within, to make either what I would consider "a good deer gun".

From my perspective their are a lot better choices out their and although I've seen them take deer with one shot I have also seen too many hunt with these and break one of the aforementioned rules... resulting in a long tracking session, lost deer.. etc.

I am no fan of either cartridge because, push come to shove, I believe in using enough gun and that measurement should be made based upon the worst possible shooting circumstances. That "not just quite right" shot on a buck of a lifetime comes and few can resist with catostrophic results.

I see your in TN - and although I have never hunted there I see bigger and bigger bucks being taken in all the southern states each year. Hate to have you loose one of those TN boomers betting on a 243. They can drop them like a bag of rocks on one deer and the next will run for miles. This can happen with any caliber but I'd bet on a 30 before anything. Your circumstances might be different.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, For stand or blind hunting I would use one not for still or drives. If it will be your only gun go .270 or bigger ..Bill
Old 12-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

a 243 is a great gun ive shot three deer beihind the sholder and they didnt run 20 to 30 yds

100%REDNECK
Old 12-24-2002, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy shoots a 243 and he shoots them all in the shoulder. Never had a problem with the performence even though he uses the cheapest factory loads he can get.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 12-24-2002, 07:57 PM
Spike

I have been using a .243 for over 20 years now and I have shot a lot of deer with it. I only lost 1 and that was my fault not the guns.As for shoulder shots I have taken them and had both shoulders broken on most.I have confidence in it or I wouldnt be using it.Dont use less than 95 grain bullets most of them below that grain are for varmints.Use a good 100 grain bullet place them right and you wont have a problem.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used one for years on deer and antelope with no problems All I reload for it now is Barnes bullets and I have had good results with them . Tried the soft points and got to much damage when I hit bone with them . I have never seen a deer that was hit right go much over a 50 yards let alone a mile . If they went a mile hit with anything it was a bad hit ,sounds more like the shooter and not the gun .JMHO
Old 12-24-2002, 09:13 PM

I have absolutley no problem dropping deer with my .243 loaded with Banres 95 grain X-bullets. Shot 1 this season in the front shoulder throught the heart liver and lungs after it broke the shoulder. Deer went 10 feet. I love because I can switch to 60 grain bullets and use it for varmit too.

Save the sport. Take a kid hunting twice and hook them for life!!!
Old 12-24-2002, 10:06 PM

btrack i have two in my freezer killed with a 243 and expect one maybe two to fall this weekend to it. and a twelve year old shot both!
How many you got this year???

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 12-24-2002, 10:14 PM

Hi

I DONT KNOW WHY BUT THE .243 DOES THINGS THAT IT SHOULDNT BE ABLE TO DO. 7 YRS AGO BOUGHT MY 12 YR OLD SON A SAVAGE .243 BOLT AND HE HAS KILLED 8 DEER IN THOSE 7 YEARS, NEVER LOST AN ANIMAL AND RECOVERED ABOUT 50% OF THE MUSHROOMED BULLET FROM THE DEER WHEN WE BUTCHERED THEM. BULLET PLACEMENT IS IMPORTANT BUT I THINK THE .243 MAKES A FINE DEER SIZE GAME GUN.

GOOD HUNTING

TOM

Edited by - BCBUCKHUNTER4178 on 12/24/2002 23:21:41

Quick Reply: 243. For Whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.