HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Who taught you how to shoot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/192957-who-taught-you-how-shoot.html)

mtfreezer 05-31-2007 01:08 PM

Who taught you how to shoot?

I often wonder who taught people how to shoot. My dad thinks he taught my brother and I how to shoot, but what he don't know won't hurt him. When my parents left the farm for some reason and we knew they were going to be gone for a few hours, my brother and I would grab my dads .22 and go shoot rabbits. We must have been around 7 years old. While we mostly taught ourselves, dad did teach up the finer points of shooting, hunting,and firearm safety around that same age. I still remember the first time he handed me a rifle and let me shoot soda cans with it. I also remember trying to shoot his 12 gauge and nearly getting knocked on my butt from the recoil. To this day, if anyone brings a gun into his house, he checks to make sure it is unloaded. Safety first.

I will always be greatful to my father for bringing me into hunting. Iwillhopefully get to take him on his first elk hunt this fall. I am hoping to surprise him with an Colorado Elktag. He has been asking if I would like to go for the last several years and I can finally afford to make it happen.

dws178 05-31-2007 01:13 PM

RE: Who taught you how to shoot?

dad taught me how to shoot when I was 5 using an old Daisy bb gun in the back yard.he's primarily a bird hunter but my deer hunting obsession has grown out of my own interest. getting me into hunting kept me out of trouble for the mostpart.

Jim_IV 05-31-2007 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: dws178

dad taught me how to shoot when I was 5 using an old Daisy bb gun in the back yard.he's primarily a bird hunter but my deer hunting obsession has grown out of my own interest. getting me into hunting kept me out of trouble for the mostpart.
pretty much the same situation for me. i would take my BB gun dove hunting with my dad and shoot cans

IL-Cornfed 05-31-2007 08:34 PM

As others have mentioned, there was a LOT of practice that eventually sharpened my shooting abilities. However, it was my Dad that taught me the finer points about trigger control and breathing and really showed me longer range accuracy. Thanks Dad! ;)

TN Deer Hunter 05-31-2007 08:44 PM

Same here my Dad taught me the finer points as gun safety. And how to hold a gun and the rest just come natural. He taught me a little about deer hunting like to be quit and still the rest like scent control and other things on my own

ipscshooter 06-01-2007 10:44 AM

Dad didn't hunt/shoot much, so I pretty much taught myself by reading about it, and practicing at the range during Boy Scout summer camp.

TROPHYHUNTER25 06-01-2007 11:29 AM

my dad taught me how to shoot

don_hamer 06-01-2007 11:54 AM

My dad. Has anyones mom ever taught them how to shoot? If I have ever heard of one, it has been very rare.

curth83 06-01-2007 12:36 PM

it was either my dad or my uncle.

Rhody Hunter 06-01-2007 02:39 PM

self taught with bb gun and scout camp My dad didn't shoot i had to do a lot of begging just to get a bb gun once i got that i loved shooting then picked up bow shooting at summer camp