HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Who taught you how to shoot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/192957-who-taught-you-how-shoot.html)

mtfreezer 05-31-2007 01:08 PM

Who taught you how to shoot?

I often wonder who taught people how to shoot. My dad thinks he taught my brother and I how to shoot, but what he don't know won't hurt him. When my parents left the farm for some reason and we knew they were going to be gone for a few hours, my brother and I would grab my dads .22 and go shoot rabbits. We must have been around 7 years old. While we mostly taught ourselves, dad did teach up the finer points of shooting, hunting,and firearm safety around that same age. I still remember the first time he handed me a rifle and let me shoot soda cans with it. I also remember trying to shoot his 12 gauge and nearly getting knocked on my butt from the recoil. To this day, if anyone brings a gun into his house, he checks to make sure it is unloaded. Safety first.

I will always be greatful to my father for bringing me into hunting. Iwillhopefully get to take him on his first elk hunt this fall. I am hoping to surprise him with an Colorado Elktag. He has been asking if I would like to go for the last several years and I can finally afford to make it happen.

dws178 05-31-2007 01:13 PM

RE: Who taught you how to shoot?

dad taught me how to shoot when I was 5 using an old Daisy bb gun in the back yard.he's primarily a bird hunter but my deer hunting obsession has grown out of my own interest. getting me into hunting kept me out of trouble for the mostpart.

Jim_IV 05-31-2007 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: dws178

dad taught me how to shoot when I was 5 using an old Daisy bb gun in the back yard.he's primarily a bird hunter but my deer hunting obsession has grown out of my own interest. getting me into hunting kept me out of trouble for the mostpart.
pretty much the same situation for me. i would take my BB gun dove hunting with my dad and shoot cans

IL-Cornfed 05-31-2007 08:34 PM

As others have mentioned, there was a LOT of practice that eventually sharpened my shooting abilities. However, it was my Dad that taught me the finer points about trigger control and breathing and really showed me longer range accuracy. Thanks Dad! ;)

TN Deer Hunter 05-31-2007 08:44 PM

Same here my Dad taught me the finer points as gun safety. And how to hold a gun and the rest just come natural. He taught me a little about deer hunting like to be quit and still the rest like scent control and other things on my own

ipscshooter 06-01-2007 10:44 AM

Dad didn't hunt/shoot much, so I pretty much taught myself by reading about it, and practicing at the range during Boy Scout summer camp.

TROPHYHUNTER25 06-01-2007 11:29 AM

my dad taught me how to shoot

don_hamer 06-01-2007 11:54 AM

My dad. Has anyones mom ever taught them how to shoot? If I have ever heard of one, it has been very rare.

curth83 06-01-2007 12:36 PM

it was either my dad or my uncle.

Rhody Hunter 06-01-2007 02:39 PM

self taught with bb gun and scout camp My dad didn't shoot i had to do a lot of begging just to get a bb gun once i got that i loved shooting then picked up bow shooting at summer camp

BigTiny 06-01-2007 09:16 PM

My dad taught me the basics, our government taught me how to really shoot.

Monie 06-02-2007 04:48 AM

My dad, when I was 12. I was sooooo excited. Every year, he'd try to fit me with a gun, but my arms were too short (He wasn't about to go out and buy a kids gun). Finally, 12 years old and I could comfortably shoulder his 870 Wingmaster. Do you know those suckers run about 650+??? I was floored! lol His got burned up in a fire, so there's no passing it down. [&o]

As for archery...it's something I've always wanted to do, but no one in the family shot a bow. Finally, in 2002 I broke down and bought a bow, a PSE Nova. It wasn't so expensive that if I wound up not liking archery, I wouldn't be out too much. So, my bowtech was the one who pretty much taught me.

whitetaildreamer 06-02-2007 07:26 AM

My Dad , using a pellet gun when I was about 6.

peakrut 06-02-2007 07:44 AM

Gun- Step dad
Bow- Self taught with help of magazines back in the day.

The Rifleman 06-02-2007 08:04 AM

Oh, nobody taught me how to shoot,
Some say that I could shoot before I was weaned, but I think that they wereexaggerating a mite.

Alvin York

outdoorslover 06-02-2007 02:54 PM

My dad doesn't hunt so he didn't teach me how to shoot. It took me long enough but I basically taught myself(withhelp from sources---magazines, the net, friends, etc.). I sometimes teach him how to shoot:D

ihunt1975 06-02-2007 06:21 PM

Self Taught but had many good people offer good advice. This is why I try to help anyone who asks. Most of the people who helped me were strangers. I took the good info I received and put it to use.

deerslayer223 06-02-2007 10:24 PM

I pretty much taught myself how to shoot my dads a bigtime hunter but my grandpap bought me a Daisy red ryder when I was 4yr old but my dad didn't know i was only allowed to shoot it at his house. My dad didnt introduce me till i was 10yr old so till than I already had a good idea how to shoot. So I've taught myself for the better part.

Colorado Luckydog 06-02-2007 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

My dad taught me the basics, our government taught me how to really shoot.
When we went to the firing range for the first time in basic my drill seargents had alot morerespect for me. I'm not saying that I didn't learn anything about shooting in the military, I did. I'm just saying my dad had me more than ready!

younggun308 06-03-2007 12:58 PM

My dad taught me at the range with a Marlin.22 LR, shooting junk, like milk jugs, cans, whatever was there, that's why they call it a "plinker", 'cause when the can is hit, you get the "plink" sound.

ajg6989 06-03-2007 01:12 PM

Mine was the Army, learned on the M-16. Then had to relearn on the M-21. the things that work with a m-16 do not work on other rifles. One that got me was puting your nose up to the charging handle on the m-16. When I put my nose up to the reciever of the M-21 it hit my nose hard learned quick not to do that.

ConstructionWorker 06-03-2007 01:44 PM

I guess I taught myself.

ranger56528 06-03-2007 02:03 PM

My Dad(rest in peace)the non hunter taught me to shoot back in 67....a H&R from Gambles.He got it with green stamps if any of you remember when......

cam3458 06-03-2007 09:04 PM

my friend taught me

M77man 06-04-2007 01:24 AM

The Marines. BRASS - Breathe (exhale), Relax (eye closed), Aim (open eye), and Slowly Squeeze. It's all one function for a one shot/one kill.

CamoCop 06-04-2007 03:52 AM

grandpa, dad and uncle. all 3 made me a better shooter and hunter

arnus777 06-04-2007 05:21 PM

my dad taught me with a bb gun then my uncle taught me how to shoot a shot gun but its good to hear your taking your dad on an elk hunt good luck

matt068 06-04-2007 07:15 PM

My father didn't hunt but did purchase me my first 22 at 12 yrs.old. I am pretty much self taught got as many books as I could read up and now I is a shooter May be the only books i read in gradeschool

ConstructionWorker 06-04-2007 07:24 PM

I remember green stamps.

Phil from Maine 06-04-2007 07:54 PM

Mostly self taught, though a friend and I would shoot bb guns alot growing up. Then his farther would take us up to his garden area that had apple trees and let us use a 22 to go shoot squirrels with.

Siman08/OH 06-04-2007 08:34 PM

My dad taught me to shoot with an old winchester .22 that was in his childhood home that burnt down. He recovered the gun and it still shotstraight so he kept it. That was over 40 years ago. In fact my cousin shot a rabbit at 69 yards yesterday with it (Peep Sites).

heftigrat 06-05-2007 12:42 PM

My dad, out in the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming. Beautiful country to shoot in. But yeah, my dad is entirely to blame for my love of guns. ;-P

triggerhappy 06-05-2007 10:33 PM

My dad put me in an NRA junior marksman program and from that time it has been in my blood. My Grandfather was also instrumental in getting me out in the field shooting.

I have to say spending hours outdoors with a BB gun sure helped too.

wis_rifle_hunter 06-14-2007 01:47 PM

My dad and grandpa taught me how to shoot with a bb gun and a .22 at 4 yrs old. I had so much fun.

i'm 12 and now im shooting .22, .17, .243, .223, .280, 25-06, 30-30, .357 mag, 20 and 12 gauge, .410 and .22-250.

StrutNtom 06-14-2007 04:39 PM

Gun -- My Father. I would wear out a BB/Pellet gun in a few months. I never wanted toys. I wanted guns.

Bow -- Myself! Bought my first bow and hit the yard.

GRIZZLYMAN 06-15-2007 10:46 AM

My dad and step-dad did. The person who taught me how to shoot well was a Drill Sgt that was our rifle and shotgun merit badge instructor at Boy Scout summer camp. The guy was on loan to the BSA, I guess, after he came back from Vietnam.

mobuckhunter79 06-17-2007 03:41 PM

My grandfather started teachin me when i was young the the military did some fine tuning on me.

wis_bow_huntr 06-19-2007 07:17 AM

My dad taught me how to shoot rifles, I kinda picked up on hand guns on my own, and my wifes cousin got me into bow hunting.

Airsoft Dude 06-19-2007 01:38 PM

My Dad with a Crossman BB gun.

hunteress 07-07-2007 12:17 AM

Well I would have to say my dad taught how to first shoot a shot gun.He was alway a duck hunter,but my older brothers were the deer hunters. And they taught me how to shoot a rifle and how to deer hunt.