HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Who taught you how to shoot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/192957-who-taught-you-how-shoot.html)

BigTiny 06-01-2007 09:16 PM

RE: Who taught you how to shoot?

My dad taught me the basics, our government taught me how to really shoot.

Monie 06-02-2007 04:48 AM

My dad, when I was 12. I was sooooo excited. Every year, he'd try to fit me with a gun, but my arms were too short (He wasn't about to go out and buy a kids gun). Finally, 12 years old and I could comfortably shoulder his 870 Wingmaster. Do you know those suckers run about 650+??? I was floored! lol His got burned up in a fire, so there's no passing it down. [&o]

As for archery...it's something I've always wanted to do, but no one in the family shot a bow. Finally, in 2002 I broke down and bought a bow, a PSE Nova. It wasn't so expensive that if I wound up not liking archery, I wouldn't be out too much. So, my bowtech was the one who pretty much taught me.

whitetaildreamer 06-02-2007 07:26 AM

My Dad , using a pellet gun when I was about 6.

peakrut 06-02-2007 07:44 AM

Gun- Step dad
Bow- Self taught with help of magazines back in the day.

The Rifleman 06-02-2007 08:04 AM

Oh, nobody taught me how to shoot,
Some say that I could shoot before I was weaned, but I think that they wereexaggerating a mite.

Alvin York

outdoorslover 06-02-2007 02:54 PM

My dad doesn't hunt so he didn't teach me how to shoot. It took me long enough but I basically taught myself(withhelp from sources---magazines, the net, friends, etc.). I sometimes teach him how to shoot:D

ihunt1975 06-02-2007 06:21 PM

Self Taught but had many good people offer good advice. This is why I try to help anyone who asks. Most of the people who helped me were strangers. I took the good info I received and put it to use.

deerslayer223 06-02-2007 10:24 PM

I pretty much taught myself how to shoot my dads a bigtime hunter but my grandpap bought me a Daisy red ryder when I was 4yr old but my dad didn't know i was only allowed to shoot it at his house. My dad didnt introduce me till i was 10yr old so till than I already had a good idea how to shoot. So I've taught myself for the better part.

Colorado Luckydog 06-02-2007 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

My dad taught me the basics, our government taught me how to really shoot.
When we went to the firing range for the first time in basic my drill seargents had alot morerespect for me. I'm not saying that I didn't learn anything about shooting in the military, I did. I'm just saying my dad had me more than ready!

younggun308 06-03-2007 12:58 PM

My dad taught me at the range with a Marlin.22 LR, shooting junk, like milk jugs, cans, whatever was there, that's why they call it a "plinker", 'cause when the can is hit, you get the "plink" sound.