Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Home deer processing?

Old 12-20-2002, 09:54 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default Home deer processing?

Several have posted that they learned to process there own deer.
My ?? for those is how did you learn and what type of equipment and setup do you have for doing this?
Rick

Lifes not about knowing the answers, its about asking the questions.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Home deer processing?

WHO, I have a large cutting board ,Knives , 20"meat saw , foodGrinder ,vacumn sealer,Wrapping paper dispencer,Some canning jars that is most of the equipment I use. I can do a deer in about 1 hour or just a bit more . I learned by watching my Dad do them when I was a kid .Started cutting them myself when I was about 12 . He told me I could always make jerky or ground meat out of it if I made a mistake .My nickname was "grinder" for awhile there . One of those things you had to be there to enjoy .
Old 12-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Learned by doing although you can find some good videos on the subject..I have a #22 hand grinder that will do an entire deer in 15 min. It actually takes longer to clean the grinder than to grind. I have several teflon cutting boards, various knives, and an electric knife that I cut chops and steaks with. I de-bone everything so no saws needed. I also have several tupperware tubs to hold the cuts and ground meat and such until it is wrapped and frozen..

I also have a fridge in the basement to age the meat (at least 1 week) until processed. It holds beer quite nicely also.

I have a small counter top (3'x 6')in my basement near my utility tub set aside for processing. I do 4 to 6 per year.

~Will Hunt For Food~
Old 12-20-2002, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just debone my deer now. I use to have a meat saw, but we now find that sirloin cuts our rounds are just as good. I like to take the backstraps out then cut about 1-1 1/2 thick into medallions, wrap in bacon and off to the BBQ. It is absoultely mouthwatering!! I have several knives, including 2 top quality deboning knifes. A hand and electric grinder. 4 foot butcher block. Deli saw (that was given to me), it is great for cutting jerky..set at 1/4' and go. Vacumn seeler and a sharpe(black marker).

All you really need to debone is a knife, grinder and packing material. It is very easy to do and cheaper as well.

Old 12-20-2002, 11:59 AM

It pays for itself after a few deer.

large Butcher block, saw, some deboning knives are a good way to start.

Grinder is a good investment too. If you don't have a grinder you can take deboned meat to butcher and save on processing fees they will mix in a bit of pork when doing ground meat to help it stay together better. Bags of deboned meat work the same way if you get bologna made as well.

We have a hack saw we use for meat only. Sandblast paint off the blade, coat & seal with vegetable oil and it keeps just fine. The saw cuts quarters with ease. We cut rear legs for steaks. Freezing them helps the steaks cut real nicely.

Vacuum sealer is a nice piece to add to the collection nothing like spring or summer deer steak on the grill.

But most importantly have a freezer that can fit it all into.

Old 12-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Real good advice given above..the only thing I would add is you know its your deer not someone elses if most processors handle your deer.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

These guys know what they're talking about. I bought the .35 hp meat grinder from Bass Pro this year because I was tired of borrowing my neighbors. It is great! You will have much better venison if you process the deer yourself. Jim

Old 12-20-2002, 07:37 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Ok I will go out on a limb here and ask "what is a deboning knife?"
and how does it differ from a reg knife?
What about removing the covering around or on back of the meat? or do you?
Rick

Lifes not about knowing the answers, its about asking the questions.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

I just got the Foodsaver 1050 vac system and it has made my processing a breeze. I used to double wrap everything, now just bag it, suck it, and seal it! Check out www.captgarys.com and look at the Forshner knives he has for sale. I have been using a few the last couple years and love em, gonna buy a few more after the hlidays (never know what Santa will bring)

10 Pointers
Old 12-21-2002, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

A deboning knife looks somewhat like a filleting knife for fishing except the blade is not as flexible. The knife is made to reach into tight areas and remove the meat from the bones. I'm sure if you go to restaurant supply stores they can help you out.... I useually try and remove all the fat from the meat and also the (so call) blue skin. The fat give the meat a strong taste when cooking and the blue skin is what makes the edge of the meat tough when cutting after cooking.

Quick Reply: Home deer processing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.