Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 finding a big buck in the summer >

finding a big buck in the summer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

finding a big buck in the summer

Old 05-10-2007, 02:50 PM

Default finding a big buck in the summer

My name is Matt and I am from arkansas. What is the best way to locate a big buck in the summer and figure out his travel routes so u can get a shot during bow season?? Is there a trick for finding a buck in the early season??
Old 05-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: finding a big buck in the summer

IMO - Driving around is about the best method simply because you can cover more territory. Depending on what you're looking for - I would highly recommend doing this from as far of a distance as possible. Some of the biggest bucks that have ever been killed were killed because they showed themselves to a road and/or a hunter driving by. Finding a "trophy" in an area is the first and probably hardest part! Once you know he's there, you just have to kill him!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check local fields alot. Me and my brothers always see the big boys out in the fields around late July and August. Just try to view from afar with optics.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep in july and august they will be out and about in the late evening on nights that are cooler feeding in the shade.....driving around or glassing areas are always a good idea...early morning focus on food sources/h20 scources.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind terrain do you have around you?I am from AR too, hunt in SW Arkansas.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Find the cutest does and hunt around them during the rut.......
Old 05-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I hunt in south central arkansas. Between warren and fordyce. We have killed 6 deer between 135 and 150 in the past 3 years. Nobody ever sees them before they are killed. Its like they dont exist.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have it figured out, we usually get one or two a year that score 125 or above, withluck on our side sometimes one over 150, last time wasabout 5 years ago.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my region, the best way to locate "shooter" bucks during the summer is by locating the soybeans and alfalfa fields and spend evening glassing the bucks using these food sources. It certainly is a very effective way to take inventory of your local buck herd. Another very effective tactic is by setting up trail cams over mineral licks, however this practice is no longer legal here in IL so it's no longer an option for us. Check your local state regs? Good luck and good hunting.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you got the $$ a trail cam is probably the best way to catch the big boys in summer.Hang it on tree and leave it alone - stay away for at least a week! I like to hang 2-3 scent bottles full of Vanilla to attract deer to area of Trail Cam. Always works for me.

Hiding on the inside edge of woods at around sunset and glassing ag fields is another excellant method in mid late summer.I do this alot about an hour before sunset.As usual gotta watch your scent. Good Luck