Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Finding Buck Beds >

Finding Buck Beds

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Finding Buck Beds

Old 07-06-2003, 07:03 PM

Default Finding Buck Beds

I have read and have been told that one key to scouting and hunting a big buck is to FIND HIS BEDDING AREA. All the years that I have hunted, I have never, to my knowledge found such an area. I have found beds in the snow, etc. But I beleive that they were doe bedding areas. I have never found areas where there are all kinds of rubs all over the place. Here in NH, in the area that I hunt, there are extensive mountain ranges and there are no farms, just woods and an occational residental property. There are some clear cuts of 10 to 20 acres...There are acorns and beachnuts everywhere. There are very thick areas (over-grown clear cuts) and there are extensive mature pine plots. It seems that deer could bed/eat anywhere they want. Should I even be looking for bedding areas, or just look for funnels and hunt the rut only?? Any advise for this average everyday hunter???
Old 07-06-2003, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Finding Buck Beds

the term buck bedding area is pretty general, depending on what part of the country you live, just like a big buck sanctuary, but your area is tough, huge wood' s and big mountins, you sound like your right on the money with that pine thicket, check out those tracks in the mud, and you will know if you have a resident big buck, tracks never lie, also a nice ambush spot along the bottleneck
leading to and from,at higher elevation' s in open hardwood' s south facing slop' s 2/3rd' s the way up, when the hunting pressure start' s getting heavy, is were you
will find those big slob' s, if you play those areas right, you may kill the buck of
your dream' s good luck,,
Old 07-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

my area is alot like yours.....year after year you can find me hunkerd down in a thicket...they eat there....they bed there....its a funnel....and they run there for saftey when the shots are fired....there are also many rubs in there and a few scrapes....man i hope dad never kicks me out of his hunting spot....
Old 07-07-2003, 11:20 AM

I have never found areas where there are all kinds of rubs all over the place
Most of the time their bedding areas do not have rubs all over. The trails enering and exiting the area may but inside the bedding area you will often find little sign.

I would look into the thick overgrown cuts. How high is the growth?? mature bucks will usually find the thickest woods to spend their days. They will also often bed in the same areas as does - so if it is thick and their are does bedding in it there is a good chance there will be a buck in there also.

The best way IMO to find these areas is to walk thru thick spots at high noon just after the season ends. You are trying to jump em. Keep track of the areas you jump deer and setup stands accordingly.

Remember you want to be in the thickest ugliest woods possible. Leave all that pretty stuff for T.V.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the advice.

There are new and old clear cuts (about 2 to 15 years old) that have 3 to 8 inch diameter (and smaller) hardwood trees. They are extremely thick! I have taken 4 (average) bucks along the edges of these cuts, but have never hunted inside of them. I have scouted (briefly) inside of them and did not see any real sign or jumped any deer...probably should look harder. The problem is that you can only see about 15 feet in any one direction. I cannot cut the trees as it is not my land, etc.

I have found rub lines in the general area, but not in the area of the cuts. I hunted these rub lines last year...many days...no daytime activity....but fresh sign almost every night. Perhaps these deer were onto me (scent). [:@]

I also found an area last year along a ridge that was full of 5 year old beech trees that were about 15 feet tall. This area was THICK! I couldn' t see more than 10 to 15 feet ahead as the (dead) leaves remained on the trees well into the rifle season! I' m guessing that the bucks were in there (this area is above the afore-mentioned rub lines)...but it seems to be unhuntable. I will have to try and pinpoint some buck patterns up there!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:57 AM

THOSE are the areas to concentrate on. they sound good, very good to me

UGLY man UGLY stuff

Nothing is " unhuntable" , there is alway a way. Get into these areas hard, and look for anything inside them that may open up a bit. Look for big trails - mature bucks use big trails inside the bedding area. Look for trails than span the length of the bedding area or may cross between two bedding areas.

Look for scrapes around the edge of the thick stuff and play the wind RISKY. Big bucks don' t like to exit a bed with the wind at there backs - if you play it too safe you may strike out.

Forget about rubs, cant hang them on the wall....LOL

Lots to say lots to say but I am out of time

Good Luck
Old 07-18-2003, 05:53 PM

Thanks again RA!! I NOW have a deercam...so I am going to get into these areas, set it up and see what we got! I have already set the thing up along a stream crossing next to/above a new clear cut (1.5 years old), and got 24 pics in 5 days! There were numerous doe shots and several buck shots...one good 8 point!

I will scout in the REALLY thick areas and see if I can find some trails. If so, I will set up the cam!! I also have a swamp with very old logging roads near it...I know that the deer use this old road as a trail...another good spot to set up the cam.

I will keep you posted...