Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Hunt anyway.
88.76%
Find the first flight home.
11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Ethics Police - Question Time

Old 04-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ethics Police - Question Time

A better question might be, How could that happen? I'm not dropping 3K to hunt anywhere(ecspecially non-refundable) without knowing all details of the ranch, the hunt, or talking to people that have already hunted there.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't respond to your poll, I would have asked that question before I signed on the dotted line and gave them any money.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I would find the first flight home and call my lawyer. Or North Texan in this case

Seriously, 3K I wouldn't do it.
And what is a lawyer going to tell someone who has not done his homework prior to paying $3000 for a hunt? Unless the ranch is backing out of the deal, the lawyer is worthless. (MY OPINION ONLY)

BTW What does this have to do with ethics?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just seeing if we're willing to put our ethics for salewhen we have a dog in the hunt.

If you'd just randomly do a poll of whether an HNI member would ever hunt inside an enclosure, the results would be overwhelmingly negative. A huge majority would declare that they would "never" hunt under anything less than 100% fair-chase conditions.

But, when the tables are turned, and we have thealternatives of suffering a financial loss, versus doing something that we are normally"opposed to" (butprepaid)it's interesting to see how opinions change.

I voted "hunt anyway" too, so I'm just as bad as the next guy. Just proving a point, that's all.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Let the buyer beware! It is your responsibility to research your hunt well in advance and to get all the information and call all the references to find out what you are about to drop a sizeable amount of money on. I would hunt. The ranch has 18K acres that is just over 28 square miles of land...hunt and next time do a little more pre-task planning.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt, the idea of an 18,000 acre fenced area being unfair or unehicalhunting is just plain stupid. Anybody that has that kind of problem needs to hunt nekkid with a stick or a rock cause using any kind of rifle or bow is definitely cheating with that kind of view.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Just seeing if we're willing to put our ethics for salewhen we have a dog in the hunt.

If you'd just randomly do a poll of whether an HNI member would ever hunt inside an enclosure, the results would be overwhelmingly negative. A huge majority would declare that they would "never" hunt under anything less than 100% fair-chase conditions.

But, when the tables are turned, and we have thealternatives of suffering a financial loss, versus doing something that we are normally"opposed to" (butprepaid)it's interesting to see how opinions change.

I voted "hunt anyway" too, so I'm just as bad as the next guy. Just proving a point, that's all.
It also depends on what you define as "enclosure". To me, 18,000 acres does not qualify as an "enclosure". I have a friend that has a 500 acre "enclosure" (that I define as a "pen") that "hunters" pay big bucks to kill all sorts of game out of. To me, there is a HUGE difference.

I still don't see where true "ethics" comes into play in this scenerio. Just because someone disagrees with "high fence" hunting (which I am part of that group), doesn't make it "unethical" to hunt in a pen. To me, it is just poor sportsmanship.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:53 PM

18,000 acres is not "fenced in" in my opinion. There are probably resident deer on that property that don't even know there is a fence there.

I personally wouldn't pay to hunt deer, but that's me.

Paul
Old 04-24-2007, 03:00 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I would find the first flight home and call my lawyer. Or North Texan in this case

Seriously, 3K I wouldn't do it.
And what is a lawyer going to tell someone who has not done his homework prior to paying $3000 for a hunt? Unless the ranch is backing out of the deal, the lawyer is worthless. (MY OPINION ONLY)

BTW What does this have to do with ethics?
Oh yea? You a lawyer?

Actually, I didn't see the 18000 acre part. I doubt I would take a legal course of action with 18K acres. Probably would go ahead and hunt like everyone else.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:04 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: AZBear

Let the buyer beware! It is your responsibility to research your hunt well in advance and to get all the information and call all the references to find out what you are about to drop a sizeable amount of money on. I would hunt. The ranch has 18K acres that is just over 28 square miles of land...hunt and next time do a little more pre-task planning.
If a person on here has been on too many out of country hunts, they know there is only so much you can do. Call references, ask questions,look at thier pictures, try to get a feel from the outfitter. So all this pre task planning is crap.

I have been on good hunts and just downright bad ones thru outfitters. Some of the best ones was noname folks without a fancy webpage. Some of the worst had big ole pictures and really talking the place up.

Quick Reply: Ethics Police - Question Time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.