Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what age to start

Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 AM

Default RE: what age to start

2-3
Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just did a guided turkey hunt with a 7 and 9 year old. Great kids, but they clearlyweren't ready for hunting yet.

First off, I don't think they fully appreciated the firepower in their hands. Secondly, I don't think they had really formed the desire to be there. It was more of a show for dad than anything else. They would have rather been home asleep or playing Playstation.

Physically, they had trouble keeping pace, couldn't carry their gear, and if they would have gotten a turkey/deer, they would have been unable to get it out of the woods on their own. No sense of direction either.

In my opinion, a kid should start hunting at that age where he/she has formulated the desire and exhibited the ability to hunt. That is, they should be big enough to carry their own gear, responsible enough to safely handle their own weapon without an adult having to watch over their shoulder. They should be able to responsibly handle a bad situation (lost in the woods, or a broken bone, etc.). From my experience, that doesn't really happen until age 12-14.

Just because they can use a scope and can pull a trigger doesn't mean that they're ready. You don't give kids drivers' licenses just because they can turn a steering wheel.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Start teaching them Gun Safety at an early age with their play guns. Take them camping at an early age and teach them about the outdoors and wildlife.

If at the age of 8they seem interested, take them huntingwith youas an observer until the age of 12 and then to the Hunter Safety Course and thenstart them with a weapon with the stipulation that only under your supervision until the age of 13.

If at that time they show recklessness or disrespect towards any ethical part of being a sportman, wait untill they are old enough to buy their own Shotgun or Rifle.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been pondering this question myself lately. My kids are 6 and 8. I took my 8 year old squirrel hunting with me a couple of years ago and she was more interested in picking up pine cones. I took both of my kids once last year and they were somewhat disinterested. I'm trying to gauge their interest level instead of forcing it down their throats.

I have a nephew that had it forced down his throat at an early age and he hardly ever goes hunting any more. I'm trying to avoid that with my kids.

As for me, I started when I was five and haven't slowed down yet.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: vadeerkiller

Sitting here bored so thought I would stir the pot a little,at what age do you take your kid deer hunting. I have been taking mine for 3 years now. He started coming with me at 4 and this year at age6, he had his gun with him. He didn't get a shot this year but was close. Being this young, everything would have to fall exactly right, of course the deer stopped 20 yards away and was behind a tree, he then kindaleaned his head around the tree and decided he'd better run when he saw us sitting there. Waiting for next year and in the mean time will have to settle for fishing.
The sooner the better!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Spike

I first went when I was 12, got my first deer my first morning too. Seems kind of late compared to the rest of you, but I think it was the right age.
A kid that hasn't even hit double digit age yet just seems a little young to be shooting a high-powered rifle at a living creature that requires a good shot to bring down.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

We can take a kid along in our state but they have to be 12 and have passed the hunter safty course to get their first permit. I think thats about right for big game. I started hunting small game when I was six and big game at 12.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:53 AM

I took my son once when he was 4, and again last year when he was 5. Last year he went on 3 trips with me, one sitting in a blind and 2 spot-and-stalk. He is learning fast about being still and quiet, so he will go on more trips as he learns more.

Training kids for gun safety should start as early as possible. My kids don't own play guns. I don't want them to associate toys and firearms at any level. Don't get me wrong, I think toy guns are fine for teaching gun safety, and I think toy guns like the ones that shoot nerf darts are fine. I just don't like the ones that look like real guns. I started my son at 4 with a single-shot pellet gun. Next year he can shoot the .22 bolt-action.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

I guess if you just taking them with you to hunt and observe I guess it would be at whatever age they are comfortable in the woods with you. My son was about 2 when he tagged along on some nice days without serious hunting being done. As for taking them and letting them hunt. I personally do not believe any child should be allowed to hunt that can't handle the weapon of choice on their own. I've seen videos of people taking their kids out when they held the gun up and had to put the gun on rest not for stabilization but because the child couldn't hold the gun up themselves. I just don't think this is hunting and they are too young to be doing it.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

My young kids love to "go hunting" but about an hour and half after sunrise they are ready to do something else. I understand this, and since I don't own a blind we go to find other activities. To meit is important to spend time with my children. It shouldn'tbe about the kill or how large a gun they can handle."Hunting" with my young childrenis about spending time togetheroutdoors.

Quick Reply: what age to start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.