Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what age to start

Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what age to start

In my province you have to be 12 and have passed the hunter safety program. I started bringing my eldist son when he was 10. Even though he couldn't shoot he always had his part in the hunt from the beginning to the end. Starting with the making of the lunch in the morning, the scouting, tracking, spotting, gutting and skinning. By the time he was hunting himself he was already familiar with the basics and more to be successful in the woods. Included was the appreciation of just being out there. When he harvested his first deer he just wanted me to stand back so he could gut it himself. It will be a moment I'm sure we both will remember. Hunting has always been part of my family's lifestyle but I never would of brought him out with me unless he wanted to go. I've had friends that have taken their kids out when they were too young or when they didn't really want to go and now they are turned off and do not go at all. It may be different in my situation for it is normally -20 or so during our rifle season. I wouldn't want to take a young child out all day in weather like that.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here because I do realize the youth are the future of this sport, and I have absolutely zero problem with kids hunting - so-long as it's legal and all rules are followed. With that being said, when I started bowhunting at the age 12, I was pretty much on my own. Went with a neighborhood friend. It took me 3 years to even have an oportunity at a deer. When it finally happened, I was alone in a tree, shot, and ended up killing my first deer. This was something that I had accomplished on my own, went through the emotions alone, and to be 100% honest, to this day - it's one of the most exciting moments of my life.

If my dad was a big-time hunter, and would have brought me out during an early season youth hunt, I would not have had an oportunity to EARN this first animal, and I wouldn't have the appreciation that I have toward the animals and the sport as I do today.

I watch kids in all these hunting videos pounding GIANTS in early September with dad looking on - and half the kids don't even look excited. I know one thing, someday when I have kids, they will have nothing handed to them. Appreciation can only happen when an effort is put-forth!

Just my opinion of-course.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you WKP, but not everybody "pounds Giants" when dad takes them hunting. My dad wanted to spend time with us and did not know what he was doing and we hunted non-productive land to begin with, so it was pretty much just get up real early and freeze your butt off all morning, but it was fun for me. Like Whitetaildreamer was talking about, this may have been part of what turned my brother off to hunting. Too much boredom too early could be a problem unless a kid is just a born gung-ho hunter. If you have options, I would think that for younger kids, a sure fire duck hunt or squirrel hunt would be more memorable then sitting on a stand freezing. As the kid gets older he may take more to the patience / bigger reward side of hunting that you get with deer.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

mna that rack was as big as she is....whatta trophy...if mine were interested, i would of gotten them to go with me as early as 4-5, but as fate has it, they don't want to hunt....maybe when they get older...the one thing i regret growing up is that my dad didnt/doesnt hunt and i didnt start hunting until i was 27...... here in florida we have a law that says any kid born after a certain date has to get a hunters safety course , but they came out with a trial basis, they can hunt for a year without getting the course cert., this way they can try it out if they like it great, if not, then thats ok too......its helped out getting kids in the woods..
Old 04-29-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually got my hunter's safety course last summer, in August, when I was 13, and I shot my first turkey at 14, this spring, and I got pumped!

I missed a deer in January in Alabama, but I've gotten better with my .308 since then, and am really looking forward to deer season.

I am kinda happy I started at 13, since I wasn't raised around guns too much, since my uncle was more of a hunter, not my dad.

I am glad I was 13 when I first started, since I was able to have more maturity with guns, my dad doesn't have to worry about me being careless with a gun, and my uncle doesn't worry.

I still learn stuff, I showed a 3 year old (my cousin) how I was shooting the BB gun, and I let him shoot, had to help him pull the trigger, and he hit the target, and I told my uncle, and he said that he didn't want him to be doing that anymore without me asking him, and I understand that now, but he wasn't ridiculously mad at me or yelling "What were you thinking!", he was patient, and just told me, and explained, which makes me really happy I have him as my hunting mentor.

I won't make any broad numerical judgement, 'cause all kids are different.
I can only share my story, and hope it relates to someone whom it will help.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

We just had our first kid. She's two months old, but I can't wait to get her out to smell the outdoors. I know she'll enjoy the sights and sounds. Here in Montana, you have to be 12 years old to hunt during a legal season. I imagine she could shoot plenty of gophers before that though.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

I started coming at 7 to watch. I started hunting chickens (ruffed grouse and spruce grouse) when i was 12 after i did my safety courseand started big game hunting when i was 14 (this past season).this hunting season i was lucky enough to fill all my tags andgot my first moose and my first two deer (one buck and one antlerless)
Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 PM

My son will be legally allowed to hunt here in Michigan next year when he's 12. I'm getting him a 7mm-08. He's going to learn how to hunt and survive either by watching dad until he's ready to pull the trigger himself or when he does pull the trigger himself, I cannot wait.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO it depends on the child and how he was brought up, and not the age. I know 16 year olds that I would not let in the woods with a firearm. Then I know 8 year olds that I trust. It depends on how they were taught. Tom.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M77man

My son will be legally allowed to hunt here in Michigan next year when he's 12. I'm getting him a 7mm-08. He's going to learn how to hunt and survive either by watching dad until he's ready to pull the trigger himself or when he does pull the trigger himself, I cannot wait.
Actually they've lowered the age to 10, with some restrictions. Can't hunt alone in Michigan until 17 though.

I'd would like to see it left up to the parents though, except that I'm not sure all parents are able to make that decision objectively.

Quick Reply: what age to start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.