Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Drives...

Old 04-15-2007, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Deer Drives...

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: findinbone
All I'm saying is this.We need to understand that different people do things different ways.United we stand and divided we fall.Another web site I visit has been attacked by a virus planted by (PETA).If you think we are not under survalence by forces that would take our way of life away your sadly mistaken.
Or he could be saying that different people hunt indifferent ways and byconstantly telling each other the way we do things is wrong if it doesn't match what we do or match our personaldefinitionof hunting only adds fuel to the antis fire to some degree. I guess it is all in how you interpret the post. We all know the antis are there but many of us don't take them seriously because we have not been affected by them personally, I for one probably fall into this group. One thing I didn't know until I started visiting this forum and others like it is how much bickering and in fighting there is amongst hunters, I am guilty of this also, to a certain extent. What worries me about that trend is not so much people having differing views and opinions and such but what if there comes a day when the threat from antis or other groups become bigger and more real, will we as hunters be able toovercome our differences and stand with a united front? Just a thought and honestly I hope it never comes to that but you never know. I say good luck to all of you whetherusea deer drive as a hunting tactic or not.
Amen.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

as montgomoery gentry says" you do your thing ill do mine" ill hunt my way you hunt yours an at the end of the day hopefully we'll all be cleanin deer an fryin some tenderloin!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MdDave

as montgomoery gentry says" you do your thing ill do mine" ill hunt my way you hunt yours an at the end of the day hopefully we'll all be cleanin deer an fryin some tenderloin!!!!!!
Was that before or after they bought the pet bear, and arrowed it, and acted like it was a fair chase kill.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:59 AM

Deer drives can be productive, especially after a week or so of rifle season. But I would rather not do them, especially during the rut because the deer tend to go nocturnal. My Dad always wants to do them, but over time we got him to limit them to the second weekend of rifle season, for the most part. I think over all you will be a lot more productive if hunt the deer with them knowing they are being hunted, especially the big bucks we all want to kill.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:17 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ben673

Deer drives can be productive, especially after a week or so of rifle season. But I would rather not do them, especially during the rut because the deer tend to go nocturnal. My Dad always wants to do them, but over time we got him to limit them to the second weekend of rifle season, for the most part. I think over all you will be a lot more productive if hunt the deer with them knowing they are being hunted, especially the big bucks we all want to kill.
I have been givin people a hard time on this forum, but I do understand this reasoning. And honestly, don't look down on people who drive the last weekend of the season.

I am not a tree hugger by any stretch, but when I see deer drove, they look haggard. I have been hunting in WV in the early 90's and PA drivers come down first morning on public land, and I see does foaming at the mouth, wounded (can't shoot does that time), and find other does left because they accidentally shot them. Also hear bullets whizzing thru the air.Yea, it put a permenant bad taste in my mouth for driving.

In fact, I won't hunt GW forest in WV anymore because of the Pa hunters who drive down there.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:02 PM

we did one this past season (normally do o a couple every season) but this year was successful we got 2 bucks and a doea 8 pointwas shot by my uncle and on the last drive of the day a buddy from Canada shot a doe and while he was gettin ready to gut it a 8 point came running by and he was lucky enough to pick up the gun fast enough to shot him before he broke down over the hill so yea the deer drives have been successful for us this past year
Old 04-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Last season on the opening weekend of muzzleloader season me and 11 friends took 14 deer in two days while doing deer drives. I think this is very impressive for single shots. The hunt was done on land with a very high deer population(we counted around 96 deer that we saw that weekend). we took 12 does, a spike, and I shot a 5 point out of pitty, He had been hit by a car(this is my guess, he had a broken leg and when i skined him his entire front 1/4 was all bruised)and could hardly walk.

On another note: my hunting buddies and I also like to do deer drives with our bows, this is much harder and we are lucky to get 1 or 2 when we go out.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Fork Horn

Wow I was surprised to see the strong opposing opinions about this. I can't agree with driving being slob hunting. I hunt several pieces of private land usually in groups of 4 or less. During ealy season we gerally sit in stands or ground blinds and wait for the deer to come to us. Sometimes the hunters on adjacent land do the work for us and drive the deer off their property and to us waiting on ours. That's how I got my 10 pt opening day last season (a hunter on the adjacent state land shot very near our land border and 5 minutes later the buck showed up and walked to within 15 ft of my stand). Now as the season goes on deer go very nocturnal and tend to find some thick brush to lay down in here in NY. We generally still stand/blind hunt the mornings but after half a day standing in one spot and seeing nothing you do get a bit anixous to move around a bit. So we do some stalking and driving. The one property we hunt has a few areas so thick you would never be able to harvest a deer in (walking through them to drive is even near impossible) As the day wears on we usually sit one or two people and drive one or two through these areas and we've been pretty successful in occasionally poping a deer out of these areas. I personally wouldn't do a drive with tons of people for safety reasons and wouldn't do one with people I ddin't know very well and trust. We have strict rules about the posters not shooting at the deer untill they continue past you and are close to 180 degrees in the opposite direction of where drivers are walking in from. Also Drivers should not be firing at deer. Drivers should be wearing orange, and nobody I hunt with will shoot at sound (if they do I guarentee I'm never inviting them to hunt with me again).

I can understand people being annoyed by drivers when they are both on state land, I wouldn't be happy if someone came walking right past my stand either, but just think that same person may scare a deer right to you just as easily as scare one off.

It bothers me that some would call for deer driving to be outlawed, if you don't like hunting that way then don't do it, but I don't care for someone to tell me I can't hunt that waybecause you don't likethat method. I find deer drive hunting to be quitechallenging especially with small groups as we use to do them. Trying to find and push a deer in the direction you want and prevent them from looping you is far more difficult then you can imagine with such a small band of people. At the same time fun and challenging (or I guess you could even call it sporting). On the other hand sitting30-40 feet up in a tree and deer walkingpast with little chance to see or scent you in some cases I find to be perhaps less of a challenge, especially in areas where people claim to see dozens of deer a day from their stands and basicaly you can take your pick. Our areas are not so thick with deer that we are afforded that luxury of sitting in one place and seeingtons of deer consitently. Think about it how would you like it ifa bunch of drive hunters started clamoring for stand hunting to be illegal because maybe it's not as sporting because the deerwon't bust you as easy as ground hunters. Just be careful what you wish for otherwise next thing you know your way of hunting will be outlawed.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt some land where the deer pop. is very low, but its a great bunch of guys so I always return for the opening week. In Ontario you get one antlered tag when you buy your lisence, its a lottery system to see if you can use it for antlerless. Besides sightings and sign a sure way to know if you are in a good area is by how easy it is to get an antlerless tag, good areas have a 100% success rate, poor areas its tough to get them.
Bottom line is I've hunted there with twelve guys and 2 doe tags between us, if we didn't push the bush we'd probably take home less than 1/2 the meat we usually do, and as it is we have many unused tags every year.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:17 AM

I thought Montgomery Gentry said "you put that bear in the cage and I'll shoot him"

Quick Reply: Deer Drives...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.