Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right? >

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Old 10-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Spike

Isn't there laws against young kids killing deer. I know my father made me wait until I was 12 to bow hunt and until I was 14 to hunt with a rifle because those are the laws in Michigan where we lived before.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Old thread. But, some states have age restrictions, some do not. I started taking my almost 3 year old stepson out for squirrel this year. He loves walking in the woods, and mostly just scares squirrel away. But that's alright. He'll be sitting a few sits for deer next year, maybe 2 years from now... Then when he's mature enough to understand it, he'll be hunting for real.
-Jake
Old 10-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I didn't hunt at 7, 8, or 9

I was so small, I couldn't handle the recoil on a 30-30. Hunting was off in the future.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]
^^^^^^
This would have probably been my response to the original post....
Old 10-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I took my kid out in the woods since he was old enough to walk. He helped gut and drag deer at 4 and 5 years old. Not much help, but he felt like he was a big help.

At 6 years old, he got his first animal. A squirrel with a 410. We did a little deer hunting but not much. A couple hours, maybe twice. At 7 years old, he got his first deer with a crossbow. He's gotten a deer every year since and got a buck and a doe this year. He's 11 now and shoots a Diamond vertical bow and is even applying antler restrictions to himself.

Next fall, he'll be 12 and have a real license. And he's already a seasoned hunter.
Right, that is all that really matters. The kid don't have to be able to do it they just need to be willing

I do not like the whole sit there and play on their phone until dad sees a deer then shoot it and watch dad do all the dirty work but I see no reason why a kid can't hunt and help the best they can.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Yes some states do have regulations for youth hunting. Here is a part of Michigan's program.
The Mentored Youth Hunting Program offers a great opportunity to teach children under 10 years old hunting skills and about the important role hunting plays in wildlife management. It is also a great way to pass along Michigan's rich outdoor traditions and conservation heritage. The program is designed to recruit youth into outdoor recreation at an earlier age. Studies show if children do not have an interest in an activity before age 10, it is unlikely they will continue with that activity later in life.
The program is geared toward parents and other adult mentors who want to teach children under the age of 10 how to hunt, trap and fish. It eliminates the minimum hunting age in Michigan, and allows parents to decide if and when their child is ready to go hunting.

Mentored Youth Hunting Regulations:
1.The mentored youth hunting license package is available for $7.50 starting on March 1 of each year.

2.The package includes: one spring and one fall turkey license, one deer license, a base license, a fur harvester's license and an all-species fishing license.

3.A mentor must be at least 21 years old, have previous hunting experience and possess a current Michigan hunting license (other than an apprentice license).

4.A limit of two hunting devices (shotguns, rifles, bows, etc.) per mentor in the field. There is no limit to the amount of youth that can be mentored in the field.

5.The mentor is responsible for the youth hunter's actions in the field.

6.A youth hunter must be within arm's length of the mentor at all times when handling a hunting device and when in the act of hunting.

7.The mentor shall ensure the hunting device is properly fitted and appropriately suited for the youth hunter.

8.The youth may only firearm deer hunt on private or Commercial Forest land consistent with current state firearm law for youth hunters under 14 years old. Antler point restrictions do not apply to mentored youth hunters, but they may only take an antlerless deer during antlerless-only seasons.

9.Both the spring and fall turkey kill tags are valid for private or public land in any open turkey management unit. Only a bearded turkey may be harvested in spring.

10.Nonresident youth may only harvest furbearers without a bag limit. Resident youth must be at least 8 years old to obtain free kill tags for fisher, otter, marten and bobcat.

Way I feel is if the state has no regulations on youth hunting then it is up to the parent's and the youth to decided if they are ready.

Yup a 13 year old thread, lots of new members in 13 years too.

Al
Old 10-19-2015, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old thread but still a conversation that arises every once in a while. Me and the wife just had this conversation a few days ago regarding my two sons. On one hand I have taking my older son out squirrel hunting with my father and myself when he was 3. He is 4 now and will continue for this next season, and we will probably take him deer hunting come next season to sit in a blind with us. The younger one will be three this Nov and will probably join us out for squirrel as well.

I see no issue taking a child at any age but we as adults have to understand a child will not sit in a stand all day like we will. Tailor the day with the child in mind and hope for the best.

As to the issue with a child being the trigger puller but not field dressing the deer. I am fine with that as well. I can teach my child to shoot any day of the year, I cannot teach them to field dress an animal without an animal. After they or yourself get a deer then they can start learning how to field dress a deer and butcher one. I have plenty of pics as a child and my dad using our metal play set in the back yard to butcher the deer. We would swing while he cut the deer up and we would watch and learn. I also used to box his deer like Rocky was doing cattle when that movie first came out, fun stuff.

Also keep in mind some folks have been raised on a farm or around cattle and other livestock and seeing death/ birth and butchering has been a part of our lives since we where born. So not everyone was raised and only got to see death and butchering jobs when deer season came around.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had fun reading all these posts again. There's even something by cardeer.

I will agree that part of hunting is field dressing your kill and dragging back to the truck, whether it's a deer, rabbit, or woodchuck.

And then there's the butchering and cooking. Our daughters have been hunting with us for some time now. But it will be a while before they will be able to do all this all alone. It will be a while yet before they will be big enough to handle a weapon capable of bringing down a deer.

My wife is too small to drag out a deer by herself and I'm pretty sure our daughters aren't going to get much bigger.

I think I see the OP's point in that younger folks should learn that hunting is more than just taking that shot. But I don't think it's possible to take a son/daughter out and have them not get involved in the gutting, dragging, etc. But I also don't think it's reasonable to deny them the enjoyment of hunting until they're old enough to do every thing alone.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, super old thread. I didn't look through it but I'll reply anyhow. Heck, I may have replied already.

I started taking my kids out with me at about age 5 I believe, teaching them what hunting was about. Short hunts in nice weather. They learned to enjoy going and looked forward to it each season. My son shot his first deer (a doe) at age 8 or 9, can't remember exactly now. My daughter at age 12 (she wasn't ready earlier). I think its great to get them involved early. One thing to consider - all kids levels of maturity vary...some 12yr olds aren't as mature as some 10yr olds, etc.

I know some states do have min age laws, and imo, if they feel they have to have them, it shouldn't be older than 12. Some states you have to be 15 to hunt which is ridiculous to me. My son had shot a dozen deer and was hunting on his own by 15. He was a more seasoned, safe, and mature hunter than some of the adults I know. He was also more interested in girls by then, than hunting. If I couldn't have taken him since he was little who knows if he'd even have gotten into hunting.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alleyyooper already posted on the mentored youth program here in Michigan which allows kids under the age of 10 to hunt with arms length adult supervision. They can hunt at the age of 10 if they have taken a hunter safety class.

Quick Reply: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.