HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/18800-letting-young-kids-kill-deer-right.html)

kgkoon 12-15-2002 02:28 PM

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

I see many pictures of kids 6, 7, 8, 9 years old who have killed deer. People on my lease let their young kids kill deer. I have always had a problem with this. Why should a kid who is too young to drag a deer out of the woods and clean it, be allowed to kill that same deer? Isn't there some type of responsibility that goes with killing an animal? Doesn't this foster sloppy hunting ethics? I had to hunt with my dad WITHOUT a firearm until I was old enough to field dress a deer and clean it myself. It seems like parents today are so caught up in trying to get their kids a deer they are forgetting to teach them the basics. To me, it is nothing more than a target range if all the kid has to do is pull the trigger while daddy holds the gun steady. Any thoughts?

Deleted User 12-15-2002 02:49 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

cardeer 12-15-2002 03:03 PM

RE: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Yes there is a resposibility to killing a animal.It depends on the individual youth.I know some 20 year olds that are dummies and some 7 year olds that have more sense then me.How old must a child be to eat a mcdonalds burger and carry it out to the car????? How far does a child need to lift a spoon or fork at the table to put meat in to their mouth? Depends? I know some small ladies that can shoot a deer ,but dont have the muscle to drag them out.Maybe ban them from hunting.My son shot his first deer at age 6 in South Texas,75 yards double lunger.And I'm proud of it

Turd Fergusen 12-15-2002 03:10 PM

I took my boys hunting with me at ages 5 & 6.I taught them how to shoot bb guns & 22's when they were 5. My oldest got his first deer at the age of 12. This year my youngest turned 12 & he got his first deer. What's the difference if you teach your kids responsibility with a firearm & respect for the animal at an early age? My boys "Tow the Line" when we're hunting. If not they get their ass busted by me.I guess I'm just a little old fashioned Italian. People let their kids fish at an early age, so why not let them hunt if they listen to you & show responsability? I'm all for it.

kodiakhuntmaster 12-15-2002 03:33 PM

I say when they are old enough to fully understand what that responsiblity is, and why they are doing it, then they are old enough to hunt. If you wouldn't put a razor sharp knife in thier hands to gut a deer, then they are to young to carry a gun or bow to harvest an animal IMOP.

I've noticed this too, if you have to aim the gun for them and keep it steady, then they didn't really shoot it did they? They just pulled the trigger. I'm not against kids hunting, just ones who are to young to really understand what they are doing, or remember it when they get older.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"

cball 12-15-2002 03:53 PM

I would say 13 or 14 would be alright if there dad was with them.I mean right with them..They need a hunting safety course..I know a few grown men that I wouldn't want to be in the same woods with much less their kids..

kgkoon 12-15-2002 04:12 PM

Before any misinterpretation of my post arises, I am talking about KILLING, not HUNTING. I hope everyone takes their children hunting with them. I am all for children being in the woods with a supervising adult. My posts concerns those children who have no ability to deal with an animal other than to shoot it. I don't think that it is responsible to let a child kill a deer when that child cannot even field dress the deer. THERE IS MUCH MORE TO HUNTING AND TAKING AN ANIMAL THAN KILLING IT. And Cardeer, please, don't confuse the issue by bringing up irrelevant arguments.

Turd Fergusen 12-15-2002 04:38 PM

My kids didn't hunt until they were 12,thats the law here in Pa. I field dressed their first deer,my oldest dressed his with me guiding him through it.They both passed their Hunters Safety Course & have grown up around guns.I know that some states,clubs,leases,preserves or whatever let younger kids shoot animals.Would I let mine? My oldest yes he is 14 & is very mature, the youngest no as a matter of fact I wasn't sure he would even hunt as of this past spring just a little to antsy,short attention span,ect.But my wife & I worked with him target shooting, & squirrel hunting. I think it really depends on the kid & how they're taught. It is a tough decision though & should not be taken lightly,after all we're dealing with guns,ammo, & death. I always knew the kids could shoot but looking at a downed animal is a completely different part of hunting,some people could be turned off by it. Tough call.

cball 12-15-2002 05:25 PM

I thought of something else ,I have two sons 29 and 38 ,the older boy hunts when he can get time,my younger son never has wanted to hunt,he said he,d rather not kill anything... I respect him for that...

Ballistictip 12-15-2002 06:42 PM

I've taken my son hunting with me since he was 4 years old and have had the privilege to take 2 deer while he was with me this year. He has been around guns all his life and at 7 years old now I'm alot more comfortable with him handling a gun than some adults I know.

Next year I plan on letting him shoot a deer as long as I'm confident he can make a good, clean kill own his own. I will be with him but he will make the shot with no help from me. Of course he will have to have help dragging it out and cleaning it but that's something we share together. Heck, he's helped me clean several deer that I've killed so I can't really see the difference in me helping him. Besides, we all had to learn sometime. I killed my first deer at 23 years old and didn't know where to begin. Luckily I had an uncle to teach me. Basically if they have the skills to make the shot with only supervision I don't see a problem.