Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right? >

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Old 02-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
I didn't read this whole thread. Too busy.
But I do have an opinion.
Why not take a kid hunting and start them out with proper supervision?
I see no down side to it.
I killed my first bull elk at 11 years of age with my old man's 30/06. I turned out OK.
What's the big deal?
I think the point is take them hunting but don't just let them pull the trigger. They need to be part of the whole thing.

That is my opinion anyway.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I think the point is take them hunting but don't just let them pull the trigger. They need to be part of the whole thing.

That is my opinion anyway.
my dad started taking me huntin when I was 5 for that reason exactly. but didn't let me shoot till I was 11 when he thought I was ready. but all those years before then I was learning. and that made me a better hunter in the futer.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
my dad started taking me huntin when I was 5 for that reason exactly. but didn't let me shoot till I was 11 when he thought I was ready. but all those years before then I was learning. and that made me a better hunter in the futer.
I think that is about perfect.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Spike

I am a supporter of a reasonable age limit. I would say maybe 8 or 9. Much younger than that and I don't feel kids can appreciate or understand fully what is actually going on. I think prior to that its fine just to take them along and let them soak it all in for awhile. It also helps build their anticipation and gives them something to look forward to.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Spike

killed my first deer at 7... helped my dad clean them at that age.... sounds to me like we got some greedy people on here that don't want youngins killin all their deer.... that's a shame
Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting topic, seems the views range quite a bit also. For me it all depends on the kid, I went hunting with my father as far back as i can remember but never got to shoot (Laws prevented that until 12) but always went. Stayed with him the whole day and our play set in the back yard was where my father hung the deer for skinning and butchering (did the same for gutting and skinning catfish) so it has always been something I have been apart of. Have taking my nephew and nieces out shooting air rifles and .22's since they where little like 4-5. Now I cant say I would let them shoot a deer that young but I also dont have a limit for it.

Take them out and make them a part of the process the entire way and they will learn. Does the kid need to be able to drag the animal by them self, no that's just crazy in my mind. Each grab a leg and start pulling, show them the strokes you make with the knife by guiding their hands, its all a part of learning. How else would someone learn some of these things without being a part of the process along the way.

Another words of wisdom: Something must die, for something to live. Whether a plant to a vegan, or chicken to your kids nugget meal. Death is a fact of life.

My views may be slightly different seeing how we where raised with live animals for food including penned rabbits and chickens and such. So when mamma told you to go grab dinner, you grabbed dinner.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

You folks realize that this thread originated in 2002 right?

I still haven't read all 18 pages.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Spike

When I was younger like this thread talks about, people age 8etc I had to field dress it, help on all deer, and taught proper technique. I think some people do need to teach their kids more responsibility but I think its good to have children interested in hunting and taught properly on safety etc.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took my kid out in the woods since he was old enough to walk. He helped gut and drag deer at 4 and 5 years old. Not much help, but he felt like he was a big help.

At 6 years old, he got his first animal. A squirrel with a 410. We did a little deer hunting but not much. A couple hours, maybe twice. At 7 years old, he got his first deer with a crossbow. He's gotten a deer every year since and got a buck and a doe this year. He's 11 now and shoots a Diamond vertical bow and is even applying antler restrictions to himself.

Next fall, he'll be 12 and have a real license. And he's already a seasoned hunter.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I took my kid out in the woods since he was old enough to walk. He helped gut and drag deer at 4 and 5 years old. Not much help, but he felt like he was a big help.

At 6 years old, he got his first animal. A squirrel with a 410. We did a little deer hunting but not much. A couple hours, maybe twice. At 7 years old, he got his first deer with a crossbow. He's gotten a deer every year since and got a buck and a doe this year. He's 11 now and shoots a Diamond vertical bow and is even applying antler restrictions to himself.

Next fall, he'll be 12 and have a real license. And he's already a seasoned hunter.
Very cool! I got my hunting license when I was 5 to hunt small game, primarily waterfowl(darn the 12yr old big game requirement!) I think it is good to have young kids doing the sport, as its very fun, teaches patience, respect for guns and more.

Quick Reply: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.