Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right? >

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Psylocide
How so?

My baby can't go fill her own bottle and feed herself, might as well let her starve. Because, damn it, if she can't do it herself, how is she learning the basics?

Derp.
My kids could do many things when they were little, but we aren't talking about that, were talking about killing. I doubt your wee ones understood that.

Guy has a point, killing something shouldn't be easy and without anymore effort than point and shoot and sachiko I'll bet you are very much involved in other ways like taking the harvested game and feeding it to your family, not just some happy meal experience where the kid thinks food comes in a happy bag. The OP was very much for educating kids to hunt, but earning the right to kill first. I agree.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by nodog
My kids could do many things when they were little, but we aren't talking about that, were talking about killing. I doubt your wee ones understood that.

Guy has a point, killing something shouldn't be easy and without anymore effort than point and shoot and sachiko I'll bet you are very much involved in other ways like taking the harvested game and feeding it to your family, not just some happy meal experience where the kid thinks food comes in a happy bag. The OP was very much for educating kids to hunt, but earning the right to kill first. I agree.
We don't just take the girls hunting. We spend many, many more hours in the woods just scouting and learning about plants, trees, other animals. Often times we will end up crawling through the brush, the girls crawling along behind mama and daddy sneaking up on something. Beginning of last summer, we were able to get about six feet from a fawn hidden iin the brush. We then carefully snuck away so as not to alarm the mother.

We don't hunt from a stand. So it's all a matter of learning about the habits and movements of the animals. Although she's too young to actually make a kill, I think Miriam might be just as good at finding a deer as some of the people on this forum.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I am all for having youth be able to kill deer as long as they are mature enough to do it properly, safely and with the full understanding of what they are doing. Killing something is more than just pulling a trigger at least to me.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:49 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Moose6868
Isn't there laws against young kids killing deer. I know my father made me wait until I was 12 to bow hunt and until I was 14 to hunt with a rifle because those are the laws here in Michigan. I hunted with him with out a bow or a gun several times before I was of legal age but I had to wait until I was 14 to carry a gun. Don't we as hunters have some moral responsiblity to teach our young hunter to follow the law even if they are ready to hunt at a younger age?

It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way
The laws vary by state. For many states, kids under 14 will have to hunt side by side with a parent or other adult. For example in WI, kids down to age 10 can legally gun hunt, but must be within an "arms reach" of the adult.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by MZS
The laws vary by state. For many states, kids under 14 will have to hunt side by side with a parent or other adult. For example in WI, kids down to age 10 can legally gun hunt, but must be within an "arms reach" of the adult.
Yes, the age is 10 now in Michigan, a change with which I fully agree. You still have to hunt with an adult until age 17. The adult has to be close enough to talk to you without any electronic aids.

The adult doesn't have to be a parent.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sachiko
We don't just take the girls hunting. We spend many, many more hours in the woods just scouting and learning about plants, trees, other animals. Often times we will end up crawling through the brush, the girls crawling along behind mama and daddy sneaking up on something. Beginning of last summer, we were able to get about six feet from a fawn hidden iin the brush. We then carefully snuck away so as not to alarm the mother.

We don't hunt from a stand. So it's all a matter of learning about the habits and movements of the animals. Although she's too young to actually make a kill, I think Miriam might be just as good at finding a deer as some of the people on this forum.
Sounds perfect to me.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

My son starterd running trap lines with me at the age of 3. He basically cut his teeth with me checking cameras, listening for turkeys, and glassing for deer. He killed his first deer and turkey at the ripe ole age of 6. He is 10 now and has 3 nice bucks on the wall and just lacks the osceola to complete his grand slam.

I am not sure that just b\c physically he can't drag a deer out why you think kids shouldn't hunt. What's the difference in the adult who has his deer loaded in the truck and dropped of at the processing plant to have it gutted, skinned, and proccessed. We package all of our meat at home. I've spent many hours in the stand with my son and have some very fond memories. I know my passion for the outdoors kept me out of alot of trouble growing up and hope it works for him as well.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

You know whats funny, he guy who originally wrote this posted it back in 2002 and hasn't been back in years. I don't know how it got revived again.

So I just saw a post where some guy said the minimum age to hunt is 10, not 14 as it was changed 10 years ago. It might be because that guy wrote the post 10 years ago = )
Old 03-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Besides staying legal depending on what state your in,
I think it is a decision that should be made by the parent
depending on the maturity level of the child and their
ability to reasonably be accurate with the weapon of
choice---whether or not they can physically move
a deer out of the woods should not be a factor.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Spike

Absolutely a problem with this. I think the real problem is parents who are allowing their children to shoot record class bucks at such a young age.

Quick Reply: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.